locations near Ballarat

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys I am new to the fossicking world, however I am pretty keen to get out and about.
I am going for a trip to Ballarat in a few weeks so I am thinking of having a go. Time will be limited to can anyone give me a great place to fossick, what mthod would you recommend.
What can I expect to find.
Anything will help.
Also what alternative tools are great

Hi XTMess,

What type of fossicking are you interted in? Panning, sluicing, high-banking or metal detecting?

There's plenty of places near Ballarat, but it's unlikely someone will give away their favourite spot on a public forum. I would suggest doing some research on the Internet or buying some maps to see where the gold bearing areas were.

Au

Fair enough we were going to do some sieving. A bit of panning. Looking for some gems and gold seen as though its possible in Ballarat

You can always get some colour in your pan at Slaty Ck Cresswick. It's easy access there and plenty of water.

DD

if your going past daylesford theres small sapphires and zircons gold i can't rember the name of the creek but its in the main town i think it starts with s

Hunting the yellow said:
if your going past daylesford theres small sapphires and zircons gold i can't rember the name of the creek but its in the main town i think it starts with s

Stony creek?

Newbie said:
DOes anyone know if Slaty creek picnic ground is accessible but 2wd?

Yes, Slatly Creek picnic ground 1, 2 and 3 are all accessable by a 2wd.

(On a side note though, try not to go after a heavy rain, as you may have some wheel spin)

Latest posts