Living in Tasmainia

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flowerpot

Kerrie
Reaction score
Wondering if the folks on the forum that live or have lived over in Tas might be able to give me a bit insight into life on the island. Mostly the average summer and winter temperatures on the northern side, between say Burnie and Davenport, Im told that area is quite mild (compared to Ballarat anyway).
What metal detecting and fossicking or fossil areas are available to the public, if any?
Just trying to guage whether or not to buy a business around that area, hubby likes heat, I like mild (not cold, cold, but warmer than Balabrrrrrrrrrrrat.)
Hes not keen :/ but I am 8)
Yes go for it! All comments/jokes welcomed, if you must. :p :p
Oh... and sensible comments too of course. :D

I havent lived there but my auntie bought a farm down there around 15 years ago . Recently sold as it was getting to be too much for her but she never regreted the decision. Was a little further inland to where your thinking so problems still just as cold.
Only problem I can see is if it does get cold youll need two beanies each. :D (sorry couldnt help myself.)

Hi Flowerpot, haven't lived in Tassie but worked down there for eight years for about six to eight weeks every year. Great place, did some work around Burnie, Devonport , Ulverstone etc. and it can get a bit chilly in the winter but it would be hard pressed to get as cold as Ballarat.
Always liked Tassie, great people, great lifestyle I'd reckon.
Good luck.

Well thank you Bjay and Manpa, that's sounding pretty good so far.

Why two beanies each Bjay? You're terrible Muriel.

Hello Ms. pot

Not really any help with the business & lifestyle

I know there is at least 1 Prospecting club

If forum member ( Whitehunter ) reads this , he is IMHO quite knowledgeable on your questions .

Im sure other locals will reply soon .

Im with your other half , warm weather only for me ...!

The growth on the shoulder hadnt fully formed yet last time I seen her. She was told itd probly take another 10 years or so, I did see the scar from the removal though so shes still a mainlander. ]:D (sorry to all taswegians, just kidding)

Hi Flowerpot,Ive lived here all my life Im into gold and coin detecting which is very good here when you know were to go ,Very good nuggets here in places but very tight lipped ?Lots of very old detecting areas as its one of the earliest settled places in aus ,many fossil areas ,Saphires ,Agate ,diamonds down the west and everything else ,Its about the same temp as Victoria summer and winter ,lots of people moving here to live as there fleeing the rat race.

We love it here. Incredibly cool minerals, fossils, gemstones and gold but you have to work pretty hard for the yellow stuff. Only thing to look out for is that a lot of the businesses find it pretty slow over winter and the prospecting gets harder then too.

Trash said:
Hello Ms. pot

If forum member ( Whitehunter ) reads this , he is IMHO quite knowledgeable on your questions .

Thanks Trash, hopefully I hear from Whitehunter...

Bjay, behave, ]:D

Tassydazza thanks for the weather info, coastal Vic temps aren't too bad I reckon, warmer than Ballarat for sure.
We actually live 40 mins northish of Ballarat
I'm trying to convince hubby that it'd be warmer by the sea on the north coast of Tas.
So far he's not buying it :8
Glad to see that there's lots of goodies to look for out bush over there :Y:
I sure didn't know that there are lots of folks moving over to Tassie.
Dave79 thanks too, nice to love where you live. :Y:

Beautiful place, friendly people. :Y: I used to love cold winters and hated the heat, but now Im getting older Ive completely reversed my love hate relationship with the weather. In the future I think Ill be looking for a warmer environment year round. And from what Ive seen can have a veggie garden all year round,thats awesome.

I found the cold a little depressing but then I was living in a cold house. A comfortable house and it would have been much better. Beautiful place. Best businesses where I was were selling affordable hot food.

Flowerpot said:
Trash said:
Hello Ms. pot

Thanks Trash, hopefully I hear from Whitehunter...

Bjay, behave, ]:D

Tassydazza thanks for the weather info, coastal Vic temps aren't too bad I reckon, warmer than Ballarat for sure.
We actually live 40 mins northish of Ballarat
I'm trying to convince hubby that it'd be warmer by the sea on the north coast of Tas.
So far he's not buying it :8
Glad to see that there's lots of goodies to look for out bush over there :Y:
I sure didn't know that there are lots of folks moving over to Tassie.
Dave79 thanks too, nice to love where you live. :Y:
Lived in Ballarat for decades - a good bit colder than north coast Tassie, or Clunes? area where you live (a lot of north coast Tassie is similar to the western and central Victorian coast to the north). Southern Tassie is similar temperature to Ballarat but probably sunnier and dryer around Hobart - just cold. Certainly worst places to live than north coast Tassie. Business seems slower though. Seem more restrictions on prospecting areas (northeast is good) - unlike Victoria in much Crown land including forest it is illegal to even camp, and legal camp grounds are a bit limited. You don't have to go far south from the northern coast for weather to get severe (largely because of altitude). Give me far south NSW any day - warmer on coast by far (Merimbula, Eden, Moruya) - also gold.

I lived at Tasmania most of my life,

I moved to the mainland only around 10 years a go,

New partner,

Where you are thinking of living can be quite cold over winter,

Like near Devonport , you only have to drive around half a hour and your playing in the snow ,

As I use to live at a place called Latrobe,

There are old mines around in the bushes, mainly on farmers property,

Came a cross them when I was a kid playing with my brothers,

Some people struggle with business because over winter not many people about, other than the locals,

Over summer very nice most of the time,

When walking around in the bushes be aware of the snakes, they are big and will bite, if see one walk away from it,

All 4 season rolled in to one on some days,

Goody

goody2shoes said:
I lived at Tasmania most of my life,

I moved to the mainland only around 10 years a go,

New partner,

Where you are thinking of living can be quite cold over winter,

Like near Devonport , you only have to drive around half a hour and your playing in the snow ,

As I use to live at a place called Latrobe,

There are old mines around in the bushes, mainly on farmers property,

Came a cross them when I was a kid playing with my brothers,

Some people struggle with business because over winter not many people about, other than the locals,

Over summer very nice most of the time,

When walking around in the bushes be aware of the snakes, they are big and will bite, if see one walk away from it,

All 4 season rolled in to one on some days,

Goody
As I said, it soon gets cold as you move south from the northern Tasmanian coast a short way. However I am assuming the temperature issue relates to where one lives (and not too bad on the coast itself) - one spends a lot more time there than prospecting in the bush usually. My comments re SE NSW would be - even better right on the coast, soon gets cold as you move west inland into the mountains.

Devonport January and June last year.
Too cold for me.
1531373623_d1.jpg

1531373638_d2.jpg

We have only had about 3 or 4 light frost's where I live in
Tathra over the last 25 years.
It is because we are so close to the ocean and not so high.
Yet the hills within Tathra get frost.
We have an avocado tree that does well and my strawberries
go at it all year round.
Yesterday in Bega, -4.
Summer in Bega can top 40+ Degrees.

Tathradj said:
We have only had about 3 or 4 light frost's where I live in
Tathra over the last 25 years.
It is because we are so close to the ocean and not so high.
Yet the hills within Tathra get frost.
We have an avocado tree that does well and my strawberries
go at it all year round.
Yesterday in Bega, -4.
Summer in Bega can top 40+ Degrees.
Bega is a bit inland in the hills though - the coast makes a difference. And yes, local topography is an issue. Living in Tathra? I guess someone has to do it....(lucky bugger).

It is very surprising the difference in climate
over a 22 klm distance and a few small hills.
Can be around 10 degrees and sunny here in Tathra,
-4 in Bega.

Latest posts