Legal access to creeks streams etc

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GREENHORN

Paul
Reaction score
Hi to all members, my name is paul, new to prospecting, live in Wollongong travel often to the central west,purchased pan and researching detectors. have read that state forests are ok for fossicking, would like to known the legal rights for accessing creeks, streams outside of state and national parks. If any anyone could shed light on this, would be great, hoping not to have to deal with property owners every time one wants a quick gander in a creek.

G'day GREENHORN welcome to the forum, most of the info you are chasing is on the forum. Have fun,lots to read.
Cheers, DD

Cheers DD, have done a little reading, still clear as mud, have been told creeks streams rivers, ect outside of national, state parks was a grey area, yes in a perfect world we should try an find out who owns or leases the property the stream runs throughs, for permission, but this can take considerable time and effort, and possible multiple property owners as the stream crosses different holdings. still no clearer on the legalities of following a stream, creek and panning, without direct consent from land holder or holders cheers.

Greenhorn, welcome to PA.

As DD has said, there is a lot of info on this form re your enquiries. I have posted posted some informed discussion here re same and over the next few day, when I get time I will give you some direction and add some more info for all re some of the latest developments in areas like Nundle.

There are a few areas that can be confusing and legislation that seems to enable then contradict in another section. But, I will answer your Q's.

Enjoy.

The Peacekeeper.

Hi and welcome GreenHorn, Have you got google earth? if so check this out http://dwh.minerals.nsw.gov.au/CI/warehouse it has lots of overlays that let you know all of the commodities, Stateforest Boundaries, National Park Boundaries, Crown Land, Designated fossicking areas, etc etc there are to many overlays to list, just don't turn them all on at once :lol:, And remember National parks are out of bounds, State forests are a go with a permit, Crown land is also a go but you cannot access via private property unless given permission, and make sure you abide by the rules and laws surrounding fossicking.

Cheers
Havinago

AtomRat said:
If you can shoot in it, you should be allowed to dig in it I recon...

Farmers still need to give access to waterways

Just not at the same time :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers, DD

Latest posts