Learning so much from the pro's

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zakman

Marcus
Reaction score
As you may recall in my previous post https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3128 I mentioned doing a days training with Graham Ashton.
Well we have become friends and so last week my friend Ray and I travelled to Dunolly and met up with Graham and a few others at a private property which has a lot a very good mulhick heap and lots of pipe clay. Which I have now learnt it great for detecting.

Anyway you cannot beat experience and time out on the field. In the picture below at the white pipe clay mid picture, 4 people with relative good experienced; 3 with GPX 5000's and one with Whites GMT detected over this exact locations, after about 2 hour of walking around they moved on so Graham (using a 5000, Ray and I with our GMT's moved over too this area and within 2 minutes Graham found an nice .5 gram nugget in the exact place that the other four had worked.

It shows that experience and detector settings clearly makes all the difference and this experience can only come from time in the field.

During my original training session 6 weeks ago Graham explained that even if an area has been well searched over so may nuggets are missed due to lack of experience. After see this in action he is certainly right . Good Hunter . Zakman

Oh Ray and I found lots of rubbish but we learnt so much and had a great time.

1384949904_dunolly_nov.jpg
1384951148_zakman.jpg

Goes to show a lot of variables all have to come together to be successful.
Location, 101 setting variables, good ears, spot on sweeping technique and just a little luck.
Keep hunting,
Cheers Tom

Yes I agree.
Just wish I had more time to detect:)

Ive taken the plunge I did have a second hand GPX 4500 lined up from a mat but he changed his mind and asked for it back very disappointing. So after seeing Graham work the 5000 Ive taken the plunge and ordered my xmas present, a New GPX 5000. I might as well spoil my self no one else will. haha Good Hunting.

Zakman

Hi Guys Its been a while since my last forum post. Been really crazy at work, anyway as some will recall for xmas I added the GPX 5000 to my armory and after some great training and secret's from Graham Ashton I finally found GOLD.

Wow
On my first day out in Dunolly with a Nugget finder 14 x 9, my first nuggets ever was a 8.34 grams after 4 hour total time 9.97 grams "So much fun" now the hunt begins.

Regards

The Zakman

1391149772_img_1760.jpg
1391149832_img_1761.jpg

1391149848_img_1763.jpg

What a great way to start the detecting experience.....well done and hope you keep waving that coil over nuggets.

Cheers Wal.

Thanks,
Headbut, TenOunce and WalnLiz. Yes I was a pretty excited when that one appeared in my hand.

It was funny as three of us started in a straight line and the other two raced ahead up the hill, I just moved slow and steady then I got a nice faint sound which resulted in about a 14 inch dig.

Happy days. That 14 x 9 Nugget finder is pretty impressive.

Good hunting guys.

Well done,
Great to see some reward for effort.
They say the first one is the hardest but ..... I think you ve set the bar pretty high with that one .
Try for something a little more modest next time ;)
Cheers Tom

Well.
After this great day I started looking around the Bell Topper and some areas In Taradale but with not much luck. I think the Fryertown area might be a better spot around the Taradale area the soil seems to have less clay which I think holds a better chance of finding the larger nuggets.

I know a lot of small nuggets have being found in the Taradale area but nothing over .2 gram.

Anyway my next trip unfortunately which will be between the 4th and 11th of March; so I have lots of time for research.

Great Hunting In the year of The "Horse."

The Zakman

Yeah an amazing find there Zakman I came up stumps for 30 hours of detecting in Dunolly. Yeah, the pro's do have an edge over us but then again I could say I'm a pro (I'm not) by finding a 2 gram nugget at the jupiter creek training patch which is worked over by pro's at least every week and hell an 8 grammer is unbelievable find there from you! I guess the pro's find it more consistently but even they will miss it. Just so difficult to cover every inch of ground no matter how close the sweeps are especially if using a mono coil.

Nuggetino. Yes Thats a good point. Slow and steady seems to be the main way to go. I found the small peace right on the edge of a diggings. I stood in the middle and swept at right angles to the lip. Haha

The Zakman

Latest posts