Lead shotty pellets

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep what Gypsy said , ball and powder was the most prevalent firearm used during that period . I would imagine most of the ballshot would have came later during the depression when rabbit hunting for food was a very common practice as well as old mine sites being reworked in times of low unemployment.

From this excellent Site With Thanks,
http://www.towambavalleyhistory.bravepages.com/yambulla.htm
There most certainly was a bit of shooting going on to keep themselves entertained. LOL And the amount of shells and Shot Gun cartridges I have found over the years with a detector certainly rings true in this area. :lol: :lol:
Thanks Tim. :) :) :)

'Pambula Voice' August 17, 1900
NOTES FROM YAMBULLA
Rifle shooting is becoming very popular, too popular in fact. Many of our shooters appear to be constantly practicing for forthcoming matches and the crack of the rifle is heard both day and night, so that one might almost imagine that they were in the vicinity of the South African town from which our township "Ladysmith" derives it's name. Any convenient tree is made a target so that the bush wayfarer has the monotony of his journey relieved by the probability of being require at any moment to stop a stray bullet. The dodging of which becomes quite an exhilarating and exciting pastime.
* A meeting of the Rifle Club Committee was held at Earl & Company's office on Tuesday night when it was proposed to celebrate the Prince of Wales's birthday by holding a 10 handicap rifle match. The club possesses a good working committee and an energetic secretary so that a good meeting is anticipated. Some of our crack's propose crossing the border on the 26th instant to try their luck at Wangrabelle, Victoria.
* There are still about a dozen men working for alluvial gold on the river. Some of them, however, are hampered for want of water. Ryan and Loch have expended a lot of time doing dead work. The former has a race cut over half a mile long and now expects to continue sluicing until Christmas.
* A parcel of 5 ton sent by Heartneady and partner to Dapto yielded 2 ounces 18 dwts per ton.

Well, thanks Tath, and again, I realise i'm becoming seriously anal regards this but the article is talking about rifles and shooting bullets, not guns that shoot shot (pellets). I've never known anybody to take aim at a tree with a shotgun unless they are doing a 'shot spread' of their gun onto a target attached to a tree at a set range.

I'd just like to know the bloody answer about shotgun pellets Myazma. I'm interested from a historiacal point of view in knowing the true extent of shotguns being used on the fields in the 1860s and thereabouts. I'm not trying to be a smart arse even if it's coming across that way :(

Scrounger,
It is not in your character to be one mate. :)
With the shotgun side of things if you think about it, They are deadly at short range, noisy and easy to operate.
My Uncle has his Fathers Double Barrell Hollis from that era and it was used around the diggings at Pambulla. :)
Holly Smokes it's got some kick in it. :lol:

keep it up SteelPat, every one you pick up is one less for us other suckers :lol:

Its not the genuine old timers responsible!

Remember the goldfields have been continually hammered throughout the 20th century as well.

Early 1900's, 1930's right through the 50's and 60's when laws regarding mining were pretty lax still compared to today, and you could pretty much do as pleased on crown land.

Old timers firing into the air too let everyone know they had finished digging for the day??????? Lol, yeah right! :eek:

Good bedtime story though!

You were lucky if they even acknowledged a stranger in need. ;)

They were hard times, and even harder men.

I would have thought that shot and gunpowder would have been expensive and the old timers would have only fired shots off when needed. I can only see them firing a shot to protect their claim or for hunting food.

Most of the lead I find seems to be more of the smaller modern size. Older slugs seem to be a bit larger.

SteelPat said:
I would have thought that shot and gunpowder would have been expensive and the old timers would have only fired shots off when needed. I can only see them firing a shot to protect their claim or for hunting food.

Most of the lead I find seems to be more of the smaller modern size. Older slugs seem to be a bit larger.
There was a time when it went up for a little while as the 'pee colector' did his rounds for nitrates. Later on mabey war or depression when the collections stopped and become more a brute force even destroying stables just to find sniffs of nitrate. But powder was cheapvthrough most of it all. Yes gunpowder is made from pee.

Metamorphic said:

Old timers firing into the air too let everyone know they had finished digging for the day??????? Lol, yeah right! :eek:

This is what I had thought when the lady told me, I couldn't work out why they would worry about letting others know they were done for the day, & with all the diggings in some area's then you wouldn't know where, or whom the shot came from anyway.

Hi all,

I'm inclined to think that if we are talking "shotgun pellets" or the like (let's just call it shot) that it is likely either short range pest hunting in the 1930s onward - rabbits, Roos, foxes, possums etc but also remember that shotguns were the weapon of choice for snakes as the shot spread enough to ensure a hit.

There were a lot of fur shooters seeking foxes and possums, but like mentioned in an earlier post, head shots were preferred. Those shooting for the purpose of getting rid of pests would probably have used shotguns, either 12 or 410 gauge.

Interesting discussion though.

Terry

ozziii said:
Metamorphic said:

This is what I had thought when the lady told me, I couldn't work out why they would worry about letting others know they were done for the day, & with all the diggings in some area's then you wouldn't know where, or whom the shot came from anyway.

Almost all the guns of 1850s were muzzle loading guns using percussion caps. All the guns were smooth bore and could be fired with the ball or small pellets. Those guns were fired occasionally to ensure that the gunpowder did not got damp. In those times you could buy single shot Belgium made percussion pistol for about 7 shillings.
Karl

Don't know how accurate it is but I've read that when short on lead they would also use & fire pebbles, metal scraps, short nails etc. Basically anything they could put down the barrel.
Another bedtime story was in a book on Sofala I think. Theory was they let a shot off after dark to warn off any would be claim jumpers/moonlighters?
I reckon Karl is spot on!

mbasko said:
Theory was they let a shot off after dark to warn off any would be claim jumpers/moonlighters?

Possibly, but this dont add up for me either!

Back in the 1800's, all the gold diggers carried guns of varying descriptions....and everyone else knew that including intending claim jumpers!

They didnt have to fire them too prove it.

The claim sizes were about 12 feet x 12 feet on the alluvial lead diggings, and your neighbour was within shouting distance on his claim.

They all had their tents set up right on the edge of their hole (claim)

You were most likely to get 'jumped' in broad daylight when you were away in town selling gold or buying supplies or both.

Regards ;)

Yeah, I agree with all of the above,
But I'm also thinking...........
Foreign land, no one knows what dangers or creatures lurk or lay nearby, why hell!, I'd be ripping of shots all night too, not to mention the 2 bottles of "so called" scotch, from the local pub tent (which is more than likely turpentine, boot polish and tailings water) chuck these three in with a great big chunk of dehydration and desperation, I'd be throwing more lead around than 'sexpo' :/

Just my opinion.........

Latest posts