Last day at work today

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, after working since I was 16 the time has come and I have pulled up stumps. Even when at University for 10 years I always worked as I had to support myself and fund the courses.

I'm going on leave until my official separation date from the Police Force on 9 July.

Looking forward to not wearing a suit and doing more prospecting, baking, curing meat, knife sharpening, amateur radio, cooking, distilling if I get the thumbs up from SWMBO and working on my old house.

I had a very subdued send off at work this morning, just with the Assistant Commissioner and his team.

I always wanted to just fold my tent and sneak off into the night with out any fuss.

I don't think so, BW.

The cost of a caravan or even a decent camper trailer would pay for a lot of accommodation.

I'm happy in the tent or swag for prospecting trips, but Mrs Duck is not a camper.

In any case, in the words of a respected colleague "A man's not a snail," but each to their own!

BigWave said:
Congrats DrDuck :Y:
I've been retired for a 2 3/4 years now, and loving it - except the Vic Lock-down of course.
Maybe add grey nomad to your list?

Trouble with me im a bit of a Johnny Fartham. I retire ,then 1 of my old boss ring up so i go back ,i wish u all the best ,missus and i r off to the Port Hedland once i finish this road job an we thinking of stay over winter just bit prospecting :Y: :Y: :goldnugget: :goldnugget:

Just a word of warning....

If you think 'now you'll have the time to catch up on all those things that have been put on the backburner' it's not going to happen. Retired life can be tiring once you're retired. The next job is never done :lol:

I have been retired for 8 years now . Unfortunately as you get older you loose your strength , I think I have lost 50% now . Lot of things that I was going to do will never get done . I also have got macular degeneration , so get your eyes checked for it . I am lucky that I do not have to have injections into my eye ball . Expensive !
Buy a small 14 - 16 ft . caravan , you do not need a $60 k . caravan , home on wheels . I lived in a 16 ft . caravan for a number of years and dragged it all over the place . Melb. to Cairns , to Coober Pedy and back to Sydney a few times . Also had another 2 caravans .

Living in a tent is O.K. if the weather is good . Not so good when it is hot , raining or blowing a gale . Leave that to the young people . I had an orange tent , I lived in that for 12months , not at one time , 3 mths. 2 mths . etc . Got blown of the side of the Clyde Mt. NSW . I was camped in the forest , trees all around , a southerly change came , it was a ridge tent . I was stood inside holding the poles , it still ripped all the floor up . Never used it after that, gave it to a young guy at work . Maybe should have repaired it , it was a canvas tent but it took up a lot of room .

Congratulations Dr. Duck and i also thank you for your hard work over all those years and i am sure some of it still gives you nightmares.
I retired (due to Covid ) last July and i will say two things: Health is Everything and two there is no such thing as Monday or any other day except Sunday as they all blend into one another.
Cheers
Mackka

I will tell you a story about Goulburn ... From Sydney I had to drive south to Goulburn and the turn off and go to Braidwood and the to the Mongarlow river another 14 Kms. that is were a lot of gold was found . I had a 3inch dredge and would camp by the Mongarlow river . Any way going back to the story , I was driving my XY Ford , with the sluice on top , pump and tent in the boot , down Goulburn Hill I was on or just over the speed limit. When a P plate er came passed me , suddenly a policeman jumped out from the left and flagged him down ! I had a big smile after that !

Latest posts