Lasseters Bones Doco

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gday
I recently came across a documentary on Aussie Netflix called Lasseters Bones.

Its well worth a look if you have Netflix. It takes a look at his life and does raise a few facts as to the authenticity of his claims of the existence of the reef.

His son is involved in the doco

It does raise many points that support the conclusion that he was a scammer .

Have a look and see what you think

cheers

Bob

Interesting, saw it a few weeks ago on netflix.
Interesting story about the sydney harbour bridge but!

Lasseters version of the Sydney Harbour bridge was a concept drawing of what may be possible. It took Bradfield, an construction engineer, to make it possible.

So , he may be able to claim some credit for the SHB, but not any more than the initial idea perhaps?

I grew up believing in Lasseter and his reef, but the more I look into it the more disillusioned about it I become.

I hope that it is true and that someday someone will find it again and prove all the unbelievers wrong. But I think that I have a better chance of winning Miss World that anyone finding Lasseters Reef :D

If it exsisted as he described, it would have been mined out long ago.
Now with aircraft, sattelite imageing etc, its just a dream, although, the samples he had in his possesion suggest he did find a rich sorce of gold somewhere.....

But according to this doco he was in a boys home at the time that he was discovering the reef , so he most likely pinched the samples and claimed them as his own and made the rest up. Being an aboriginal person myself, I am not about to go into the forbidden area looking for the reef out of respect the local peoples traditions and customs. I will leave it up to you white blokes to risk the consequences as fortold by the old bloke in the doco.

There goes another legend I believed in "When I was a boy"(see Old Sayings).

At least Santa and the Easter bunny still exist

I work with a lot of aboriginal people, and learnt heaps from them.
Like thinking outside the square and a unique way of problem solving.
I really like the way the blokes up here explain things, there is a forbidden area here that they call "sickness country" us white fellas mine it for uranium.....

I've got the dvd. The extras are quite interesting to, well worth the time to watch. Like the bit when he interviews the wife of the pilot. Whats his name. The 1 who flew Harry out when he spotted it allegedly from the air. She has an atlas with a x marking a specific spot that her hubby reckoned was where it was. He did several trips himself before he died. Thing is like all legends there is bit of truth hidden amongst the bs. My theory is that Harry got the story from someone else and made it his own. But not knowing the exact location, or never having been in that part of the country couldn't find it. He may however have stumbled across it before he died. Or he could have been full of crap. Interesting the stories of people running into him after his alleged death. We'll probably never know. But people will always hunt for treasure. :)

Latest posts