Land rover 6x6

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Philthy said:
I think they would be a great camping rig if set up right, the 6x6 can tow a fair bit too. We have a heap of the 1250kg trailers that should be going up to sales soon. We put a 1000kg generator in them and it tows quite well.

If you could score one with the Ambulance pod on it, then even better, its got cupboards, storage and beds.

The biggest issue that we've had on them are the wheel seals going, but that could also be poor maintenance.

My current breakdown/recovery vehicle is a Hino 4x4 truck with duals on the rear. Its fitted with a dual compartment cargo area. The first one has a side load full height roller door and can easily fit a quad bike and ramps. The rear has tool trays, small lathe, drill press oxy torch ect. A honda 3kva generator is built in to the truck along with extra air tanks and it has dual 24v / 240 v power. There is also a full length hydraulic side door on the second area so when thats up, it provides an awning area. Thats a serious toy to buy when it eventually goes to auction. We have actually spoke at work on how we would set it up as a camper. The front cargo area fits a double bed.

i was looking at the canter ambulances too but i am too tall for the body on those , the interior is a bit cramped unless your under 5'-6" i reckon

axle clearance and fording height isnt the best but they are all quite modern and they wouldnt have too many mechancial gremlins like the older vehicles

the army probably paid $ 200,000 each for those once they were " mil specced "

i heard the new G wagons will cost $ 250,000 each once complied to "our spec" , or that might be "once complied to the spec of some guy who signed the contracts" ( and they have an anticipated 10 year service life )

those Hinos sound awesome

Wally69 said:
Has anyone had any experience with one of these, at 5.6t it may be overkill for a prospecting rig but they look like they could be set up for some serious time in the bush.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1916/1400157070_image.jpg

5.6 tonne is maximum loaded vehicle mass

tare weight might be closer to 3.3 tonne

that means you might be able to have it reclassified as maximum GVM 4.9 tonne even with the new body on the back and drive it with a car license

talk to the RMS or an vehicle engineer

Yeah, I also heard similar for the purchase price of the G wagons too. I also heard that we paid extra to have the radios removed. Heaven forbid that we could listen to music whilst on convoy to Townsville.

I've got both 4x4 and 6x6 G Wagons at work and I'm not a big fan at all. Give me a LR 110 any day over them.

This is what the main area of my work truck looks like. The entire left side wall lifts up with hydraulics to make an awning and so you can access all of the drawers from inside or outside.

1402901659_plumber_a.jpg

Thanks Philthy and HeadsUp

Appreciate the advice, next stop the registry office to see what they have to say about derating options. If I can get away with that it would be a good outcome as I certainly don't need to lug more than 4.9t of gear around. Might need the trailer option to get that 1.25t nugget home though. ;)

Latest posts