lack of quartz

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pauly250

Paul T
Reaction score
My brother recently purchased a 600 acre property between gunnedah and tamworth,west of nundle,property consists of about 400 acres of mountains and the rest goes onto a flat farming area,a few creeks that are dry at the moment.

My question is that the mountain area and lower slopes have heaps of iron stone and sedimenty specimens that are mostly red in colour but i have come across zero quartz on the property,even in the creeks i havent even seen one bit,will this lack of quartz have an impact of the area been gold bearing ???

The creeks do have some cool slate like specimens with several coloured layered stripes including green.

Pauly

Quartz isnt a Definitive sign that golds there, neither is black sand for that matter, good indicaters yes, but not a neccessity. gold is where you find it.

Try looking up mines department form your state Most have maps that you should be able to access, these will tell you if gold is possible on it.

dave14110 said:
Try looking up mines department form your state Most have maps that you should be able to access, these will tell you if gold is possible on it.

I will give it a go,it was a part of a well guarded cattle property that had zero tolerence for tresspassing due to local idiot pig hunters cutting fences,the old owner said that in his lifetime there had been no one fossicking and the rear of the property backs onto a national park in the mountains so hopefully it hasnt had a detector over it.

The creeks come down on a pretty steep angle and there are small waterfalls and pits ever 20 meters or so ,i am going to throw out the rocks from the bottom of the pits and pan the gravel,probably work from the bottom up i guess

Seems to be a few deposits in the area but not many, does not mean there is no Gold, I'd just start test panning and see what comes out. If there is no Gold it's still a great base for getting out to other areas, Bingara, Inverell, Nundle, Glenn Innes.

Latest posts