Laancoorie or Dunolly?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 5415

Phil
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm shooting up for a swing on Saturday (afternoon) and Sunday, I need an idea on which park to stay at, also somewhere for a steak and a beer for dinner, thanks in advance. :)

Laanacoorie has no shops, nearest are Tarnagulla. Dunolly has no pub (for a year now), but you can get fish n chips and pizza.

Tarnagulla has a small pub and serves meals. Either way you'll need to go for a drive to a pub, but more chance of a feed at Dunolly.

The IGA at Dunolly sells booze, but cheaper to BYO.

Alternatively, there is a great camp area right on the Loddon River at Laanecoorie just before the bridge heading out of the township! (Laanecoorie River Reserve, -36.825393, 143.898664).
Punch these co-ords into google earth!

Its free, has toilets and just 5min from some great Alluvial Leads...... 10min (14k) up the road over the bridge is the Newbridge Pub with some great Saturday night counter meals and cold ale on tap.

Grab a few take aways after dinner and head back to camp by the river.

Drop a rod in while you enjoy a few coldies on the river bank and plan your strategy for the sunday morning gold hunt!

A couple of nice gold nuggets to take home and maybe even a nice Murray Cod/Redfin/Yellow belly......Aaahh, what a weekend away! :)

Tents, Caravans and pets allowed.

As Condor says, The Golden Age Hotel in Tarnagulla is roughly the same distance away to the West.

John and his wife Mary are just awesome people and have lived in the area for 30+ years.

He is an old prospector (retired now) and doesnt mind chatting about some old favourite spots while you have a couple beers at the bar!

Mary's Burgers or Fish n Chips are damn good also (Friday/Sat nights only).

Enjoy!

;)

Its a shame about the pub in Dunolly, I had a rump, eggs and chips for 20 bucks there not long ago and the steak hung off the plate both ends.
I believe and I could be wrong that the people that own the IGA in town bought it with the intention of a refurb and to reopen. Hope so.

Geez Meta, you've made me wanna go up there with the thought of a pub meal, few beers and Murray cod while camping along the river, and the added bonus of a nugget or two to finish of the weekend :lol:

Hehe....Yeah I love the area Scrounger, has it all i reckon!

Im not a local but almost....spend a good 3-5 months a year there.

Drop me a PM if you are ever wanna plan a trip up that way.....lets go get some gold and some fish mate!

My shout for the coldies ok :D

Meta

Thanks Meta, I'm gunna check that spot out sounds grouse!!!!! :lol: For now I'm booked in at the Laancorrie van park for the night, next time tent, swag and gear joins me for a longer stay :D

Will do, have to drive past the reserve on the way in and will be sorting that spot for sure, on longer trips I was originally just going to use the van park as a base, get an un-powered site up the back etc. which I still may do?

Thanks again Wayne. :)

Think I'm on 24 or thereabouts, lol
I remember booking a particular site, but old age forgets me, They'll tell me when I rock up.....

Latest posts