Kyneton Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I'm spending a week in Kyneton in July, would like to do some fossicking for gemstones whilst the children & i are there.. any suggestions as to spots to try, I'm from NSW, and don't know that area.. thanks :)

Nearby Malmsbury, Taradale, Drummond North were important for gold but a lot is private or built up unless you know the area - try one of Doug Stone's maps

Hi Catherine68. The Doug Stone maps show gold diggings, reefs etc, but do not show fossicking areas for gemstones. I can't help you with gemstone areas, but keep this thread alive by typing "Bump" and submitting every day or so till you get the responses that should flow.

So appreciated Bigwave... didn't know to do that I'm new here.. I'm from Crookwell, NSW & spend alot of time at Grabben Gullen as its only down the road.. :)

I guess I didn't explain clearly - one of the best places to look for gemstones is on old alluvial gold mine waste dumps. Many of the gems have come from the buried river bed gravels that were being mined, but they are rarely exposed at surface.

The Trentham area to the southwest is noted for sapphires and attempts have been made to mine them (in similar gravels). Zircon is fairly widespread in the region.

Latest posts