kilkivan or nanango where is better

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozjono

jonathon
Reaction score
hello all hope i have put this in the right place :) i want to do some fossicking tomorow and have the choice to go to nanango or kilkivan but have never been to ether i will have my high banker and pans ,can some one please help with where to go cheers jono :/

Hi Jono
Did you ever try Nanango? Any luck?
Cheers
Jed

G'day Jed, I don't know if Jono got there or not, I did put a post on here somewhere about nanango. The gold I've found at Nanango ranges from flour gold to rice grain size. I have seen a photo of a bloke with a couple of small nuggets. The only nugget producing area I know of is very small and is now privately owned but he got these from the designated fossicking area. There is also small sapphires and if you are lucky, the odd ruby or diamond, I've only found a couple of small sapphires. It's believed that the gold comes from the granite not the quartz. The creeks are running and full of sand and there are few good crevicing spots, even more now since the big floods which cleaned the creek out. There are good spots for a river sluice or high banker. It's a 4wd only area and has great camping areas scattered throughout the field. If camping there, contact the Nanango tourist information centre as they like to know how many are camping there, doesn't cost anything, the information goes toward possible access upgrades which would be good.
1367524409_nanango_8.jpg

:) Mick

Many thanks Mick. We were thinking of coming up to Yarraman (mate owns the caravan park there) in Aug13 to escape the Canberra cold for a few weeks! :lol:
Which would you recommend Nanango or Kilkivan or both?
Cheers
Jed

G'day Jed, with a few weeks up your sleeve I'd be giving them both a go. Around August is when farmers do burn offs so detecting should be good as well. I should be around somewhere if you need a tour guide for a day or two or three. :) Mick

G'day Mick - OK I will cover both spots since I will have 2-3wks.
Many thanks for your kind offer to guide us - I will be in touch via your PM (in July13) if all goes according to plan for Aug13.
My Yarraman mate (Lee) might be able to swing some access to private property as his family originally came from Nanango :cool:
PM me if you know of any prospective property names/addresses & I will ask Lee if he can arrange something for us.
Cheers
Jed

Hi Jed, my younger brother and his wife lives in Yarraman, I lived in Nanango for about 15 years (left in the late 80's), know a bit of the country around there, wouldn't have a clue who owns what now. I know the bloke who owns a cattle property that joins the bottom of the 7 mile diggings, not to sure if there's much gold there. I'll do some scouting around at both places. :) Mick

Latest posts