Keeping track

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all. Just wondering how many people keep a field diary, is it a paper notebook or electronic, both, what info do you put in it?
i was thinking keeping one, with Lat and Long, date time, depth, machine type, settings, coil, gold, weight, no gold. ground type. In either paper
or electronic notes, then transferring it to google maps and adding the info to markers. Interested what everyone else does.

Cheers

Yes Mrs M keeps a paper diary. Start time and mileage, fuel expenses, locations with time and date, finds, coordinates etc. The Hema HN7 records our tracks :cool:

I just use the 7000 to record finds info as it can be downloaded to my PC.

For general major travels I record fuel, mileage (calculate economy) via a spreadsheet. Tracks are recorded via my GPS and detail of activities via an online blog with lots of photos to share with family and friends. Some relic and mineral finds get recorded on the blog, but I do NOT record any gold finds or even gold outings on the blog.

Rob P.

Howdy

I have recorded all my finds since 2012

Most of my finds have come from the dirt ....

I like numbers & figures , where & when - not as good as rainman though !

My gold qtys & weights are small , so they are at the back of my book

I also write little notes like who I was Detecting with etc.

If I was Gold Detecting more I would use coordinates or the like

Spreadsheet, all the fields you mention above minus settings and coil type because I have a SDC2300. (Only one coil type, my settings don't vary much)

Instead of 'Ground Type' I just have 'Notes' eg. 'Under a tree root in red clay' or 'trapped in slate bedrock'

I also record 'Elevation', my GPS tells me this but it's usually a bit wonky.

My spreadsheet looks like this:

Number | Date | Time | Location | Weight | Depth | Elevation | Notes | GPS Co-ordinates

It auto calculates the following Vital Statistics using some formulas:

Gold Haul |Average Weight |Average Depth |Average Elevation =SUM(E4:E200) =AVERAGE(E4:E200)
Largest Nugget =MAX(E4:E192)
Most nuggets found in one day Err:511 (I'm still working on this formula)
Total weight in troy ounces = (Gold Haul/31.1035)
Gold Value in $$$

On the next sheet I have statistics by location

Area | Number of Nuggets | Gold Haul | Average Weight | Average Depth | Average Elevation

On the third sheet I have some graphs:
Number of Nuggets by location bar graph
Weight of nuggets by location bar graph
Average nugget size by location bar graph
Average elevation by location bar graph

Gold weight by location pie graph

------------------------

To keep track of my gold as I find it, I carry a small plastic bead jar with 5 chambers.
As I find each piece I mark the location on my GPS and which number chamber I put it in, and the depth. eg. GOLD1 4CM, GOLD2 3CM, GOLD3 10cm etc...
When I get to the 6th piece I record whether it was smaller or larger than the piece that's already in there, eg. GOLD6 3CM BIGGER.

It doesn't happen often that I get to number 6 though :D
The most pieces I have found in one day so far is 13!
The other problem is when the nugget is too big to fit in the plastic container, but that's only happened twice and was not really that big a problem :p

Dron said:
Spreadsheet, all the fields you mention above minus settings and coil type because I have a SDC2300. (Only one coil type, my settings don't vary much)

Instead of 'Ground Type' I just have 'Notes' eg. 'Under a tree root in red clay' or 'trapped in slate bedrock'

Number | Date | Time | Location | Weight | Depth | Elevation | Notes | GPS Co-ordinates

Gold Haul |Average Weight |Average Depth |Average Elevation =SUM(E4:E200) =AVERAGE(E4:E200)
Gold Value in $$$

Area | Number of Nuggets | Gold Haul | Average Weight | Average Depth | Average Elevation

------------------------

To keep track of my gold as I find it, I carry a small plastic bead jar with 5 chambers.
As I find each piece I mark the location on my GPS and which number chamber I put it in, and the depth. eg. GOLD1 4CM, GOLD2 3CM, GOLD3 10cm etc...
When I get to the 6th piece I record whether it was smaller or larger than the piece that's already in there, eg. GOLD6 3CM BIGGER.

The other problem is when the nugget is too big to fit in the plastic container, but that's only happened twice and was not really that big a problem :p

I wish I had enough gold finds to need this level of documentation. Lots of rubbish finds but most of those are not documented, just stored in a junk container.

Rob P.

Rob P

PabloP said:
I wish I had enough gold finds to need this level of documentation.

Hehe, I'm up to 142 nuggets but most of them are very small. That's what you get with an SDC .... I bought my SDC2300 in October 2016 and found my first gold in Jan 2017, but the detector has still not paid itself off yet. If you add up all the money I've spent on fuel, food and car maintenance I'm still way behind.

The idea of the spreadsheet is to analyse your finds to help you look for patterns which will theoretically lead to more gold.

This is what the bead container looks like. About 25mm diameter and 10cm tall.

Transparent-Plastic-Cosmetic-Storage-Containers-Minerals-Display-Clear-Makeup-Stackable-Small-Jar-5-layer.jpg

I used to write a diary of every trip as well but after a few months I failed to keep it up. Haven't written in it since August 2017. Looking back at it now at the beginning there was lots of trips with zero nuggets!

Here's a sample diary entry:
Monday 10th July Spent all day zig zagging back and forth on the ridge for only 2 tiny pieces of gold and 50 pieces of bird shot.

Dron said:

Gold Value in $$$

------------------------

not a bad idea, having all the columns add up. Im pretty good at VB and macros. thanks

Try this =MAX(C1:C100) obviously change the range to your needs