Kangaroo Valley

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colin&Lee

Colin&Lee
Reaction score
Lee and I spent the day ferreting around in the valley yesterday. What a spectacular little slice of the country.

Petrified wood

1407059909_2014-08-03_19.07.39.jpg

1407059966_2014-08-03_19.08.39.jpg

Jaspers

1407060122_2014-08-03_19.12.50.jpg

The only piece of blood stone for the day

1407060307_2014-08-03_19.11.59.jpg

Enjoy ;)

Col

I lived in Nowra for 11 years and never went for a serious fossick around the valley.
Will have to take a look next time i'm down that way.

Plenty of bits and pieces in the creek.

I will put up some pics of cabbed stuff in the lapidary section over the next few months

Cheers

Col

the blood stone is cool hope you make some thing nice out of it will have to have a look for some of that thanks for posting mate :)

We didn't find any Agates either, I have a sneaking suspicion I might known were they are reading between the line of my 1970's fossicking book ;) will keep you posted

Col

I think I may have the same book :)

Anyway, don't give up. I have been picking up rocks and stones here at the Redcliffe Peninsula for a few months now and on Monday finally found my first agate.

The beaches on the peninsula were reported to have chalcedony, jasper and agates. I know the chalcedony part is true, because once you know what to look for you see that the beaches are literally littered with the stuf. I have 3 2lt containers now, full to the brim, just from my daily dog walk collecting. If I go out specifically looking for the stuf I could probably fill a 10lt bucket per day.

The jaspers and agates have eluded me till now however, despite specifally searching for them. This changed earlier this week, when I decided to follow a little low quality chalcedony vein and found the face of what I thought was another limey piece of chalc still embedded in the rock. As I pulled it out of the hole it looked cracked so I looked into the hole and sure enough, 2/3rd of the stone was still in there. I'm glad I had another look at it, because after cutting and partially polishing it up yesterday it just turned out to be a real treasure, totally different from anything I've so far picked up and polished. I'll post a pic later, when the sun's shining.

Just keep looking and remember that you don't know what you have until you actually cut it open and have a look inside.