Is this rock apatite? Found in Northern NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1644119352_9948ee00-e811-4de4-89eb-86849c7548c0.jpg

Properties? Hardness is absolutely diagnostic for apatite (hardness 5, much softer than things like green feldspar)

goldierocks said:
Properties? Hardness is absolutely diagnostic for apatite (hardness 5, much softer than things like green feldspar)
Can you easily scratch it with an iron nail? Perhaps just scratch it with ordinary window glass? Quartz would scratch deep grooves in it easily if apatite.

It looks like it is a fragment embedded in a sedimentary rock - since it is still angular I would not expect that for apatite (soft minerals soon become rounded in streams etc. Cleavage is commonly very indistinct (planar faces) although actual planar crystal faces are quite common (but would not survive transport in water).

1644183076_mohs-hardness-scale.jpg

Despite its commonly green colour, its streak is white.

It can help to give something like an accurate location, if it is from a named historical mine.

Actually it might not be in a sedimentary rock - is it in a quartz vein?

The coloured rock in the photo is about 2cmx3cm.

I havent figured how to reply to individual posts or like them, but all such good info for me. Thank you.

I found it on a low ridge on a faultline, on private property, northern nsw, so I only took a photo and left it there. Lots of quartz sandstone, conglomerates. Its embedded in that rock. I figure its definitely hard because it was protruding and the piece looked worn down. The colour was incredible. This is so exciting, Ill go back and do the scratch test.

Im loving this journey already! ? ?

Neez said:
I havent figured how to reply to individual posts or like them, but all such good info for me. Thank you.

I found it on a low ridge on a faultline, on private property, northern nsw, so I only took a photo and left it there. Lots of quartz sandstone, conglomerates. Its embedded in that rock. I figure its definitely hard because it was protruding and the piece looked worn down. The colour was incredible. This is so exciting, Ill go back and do the scratch test.

:D Bottom right of screen , Report - "Edit"- Quote - Like

dam it said:
Neez said:

:D Bottom right of screen , Report - "Edit"- Quote - Like

Might need 10 posts.

Go to the Query symbol (Magnifying glass) and type in:

Series on identifying minerals

and also type my name as the person (Goldierocks)

You will find an entire course on mineral identification :)

Goldilocks, its not in a quartz vein but looks like lots of quarts bits in the piece of rock and theres rough quartz scattered around the area, not smooth. No mines nearby. Ill look for veins of quartz when I get back out there. Theres a steep incline so maybe it broke off and tumbled down the hill to this resting place.

Neez said:
Goldilocks, its not in a quartz vein but looks like lots of quarts bits in the piece of rock and theres rough quartz scattered around the area, not smooth. No mines nearby. Ill look for veins of quartz when I get back out there. Theres a steep incline so maybe it broke off and tumbled down the hill to this resting place.
It looks to have sub-conchoidal fracture to me, so I suspect some form of silica. Test the hardness against a steel needle and a bit of sharp white quartz.

Be nice if it was something ancient(worked by man) :p
(but I don't think it's been knapped)

1644396907_screenshot_20220209-185822_gallery.jpg

It can help to give something like an accurate location, if it is from a named historical mine.
Thank you for your reply. I found it near Grafton below a rocky ridge. The surrounding area was basalt and sandstone. I left it there so can’t test it but definitely hard and jagged sticking out of conglomeration containing pieces of quartz and iron

Go to the Query symbol (Magnifying glass) and type in:

Series on identifying minerals

and also type my name as the person (Goldierocks)

You will find an entire course on mineral identification :)
Awesome thank you for this tip!

Latest posts