Is this pyrite? It shouldn't be here if it is.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anybody tell me what this is please? I think it's pyrite or something similar. Thing is my young fella Matty dug it out of a hill at his school here in Mt Gambier. Not sure if this hill is a part of the natural geology or if it was landscaped and therefore possibly material was brought in from somewhere else. But there isn't meant to be anything like this here geologically speaking. It's a volcanic region, but we have basalt (scorio looking stuff, red and full of bubbles) and limestone. No red mineralization of soil until you get 20 to 50 kms North into the Terra rosa soil. I'm kinda stunned by this. The boys at school have apparently started mining this hill for these things and have found a few. Also apparently a few gems. :eek: WTF is going on here I'm freaking out. If it's pyrite does that mean there could be gold around here after all? 8) :p :rolleyes: I'll be in the corner in the fetal position sucking my thumb anxiously sobbing with anticipation. Cheers Chewy. [video=480,360]https://youtu.be/tP5HxCIy8gw[/video]
1464081695_20160524_153925-240x427.jpg
1464081710_20160524_154022-240x427.jpg
1464081723_20160524_153558-240x427.jpg
Shiny silver metallic and crystaline. Non magnetic. Hard enough not to be able to scratch it with a fingernail.

Yeah I've been chatting with another geologist mate and that's what he said. I did a streak test and it was grey/silver. Heavyish for it's size. He is pretty sure it's Galena. What it would be doing here is a mystery though.

chewy looks like galena which is silver lead or argentum -plumbum,there is a mountain of it near renison bell tassie where i worked for years ,also nearby there is a mountain of tin and plenty of gold in the surrounding streams ,similar geographics.

I have a bunch of similar samples and I have labelled them Galena also FWIW.

It is pretty soft as well and will break apart pretty easily is what I have observed as well.

Latest posts