Is this potentially a meteorite? Dont look at the blue/green colours they are all reflections. Real colour is silver

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meteorite or not? Is it worth following up? Thanks guys

• Total voters
If I was a plumber digging sewer trenches in Ballarat, Bendigo or other GT towns, I'd ensure I had a detector in the back of the Hi Lux.
and if a Ballarat plumber or backhoe operator did find gold at work they wouldn't be the first too.. fact!

I also know of a quarry in Vic that paid its workers wages for over 2 years from gold recovered from the bottom of their auger screw, their manager (my old boss) showed me photo's.

As the saying goes, gold is where you find it, especially in this country!

and if a Ballarat plumber or backhoe operator did find gold at work they wouldn't be the first too.. fact!

I also know of a quarry in Vic that paid its workers wages for over 2 years from gold recovered from the bottom of their auger screw, their manager (my old boss) showed me photo's.

As the saying goes, gold is where you find it, especially in this country!
Hmmm - not a quarry that I know of, where is it and what type of quarry? That is a lot of gold to come up an auger screw.

"gold is where you find it" was what 19th C prospectors with little geological knowledge said. It actually occurs in quite specific localities, and if you learn what they are you will increase your odds even recreationally (mind you, nowadays the majority of recreational prospectors probably apply some basic geology without being very conscious of it, and some is found by statistical observation i.e. where am I finding it)? The saying has no relevance to 99.9% of actual gold production...there is nothing random about exploration approaches by companies, which are based on strong geological principles. using 150 years of accumulated data.

sorry Goldierocks.. all I'll say is its not in the GT but is in Vic. The business still operates today

sorry Goldierocks.. all I'll say is its not in the GT but is in Vic. The business still operates today
I work in Victoria and have fair familiarity with events here, and with its annual gold production (have compiled production for the govmint) - very surprising for something like that to slip past me. And why just the amount that came up an auger screw?

I heard of a sand quarrying operation in the Gippsland hills just south of Warragul, in the largely Jurrasic formations, where gold was being recovered in a "sand auger". I think the type of auger being referred to was not a drilling type auger but a conveyer or washing type auger like in the picture attached.

Attachments

• sand auger.jpg
    sand auger.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 0
.. a screw conveyor, augers probably the wrong description but thats all it is

1652137427212.png

Last edited:
Yes that's another image. Not designed for gold recovery but anything that moves and shakes gold bearing material has the ability to sort it because of SG difference and lodge it in places where there is less moving and shaking.
I'd be happy to offer my services to any gravel mining operations in the GT to clean out their conveying equipment once in a while. I may even consider doing it for free.

I heard of a sand quarrying operation in the Gippsland hills just south of Warragul, in the largely Jurrasic formations, where gold was being recovered in a "sand auger". I think the type of auger being referred to was not a drilling type auger but a conveyer or washing type auger like in the picture attached.
That makes sense, and yes there have been a few places like that (one near Ballarat churned out about 7 oz/wk as a by-product of gravel), I don't think that one was in Jurassic though (if near Bear Ck at South Warragul). Neogene (Cainozoic) sands from memory. I have not seen any gold in the Victorian Jurassic but have seen it in various Jurassic localities in NSW.

That makes sense, and yes there have been a few places like that (one near Ballarat churned out about 7 oz/wk as a by-product of gravel), I don't think that one was in Jurassic though (if near Bear Ck at South Warragul). Neogene (Cainozoic) sands from memory. I have not seen any gold in the Victorian Jurassic but have seen it in various Jurassic localities in NSW.
Wasn’t going to name it, but Bear Ck it was. Jeez Goldierocks is there any secret in Victorian Geology that you don’t already know about?

Latest posts