Is this a good or a bad thing ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just copied this part from the
information about The GPZ700

"GPS Locating & PC Mapping
See your location and log gold finds as you detect. With the built-in GPS youll efficiently cover more ground and wont miss a nugget! Record your favourite hot-spots by saving data to XChange 2 with Google Maps."

Call me paranoid but doesnt that enable
Google tog get acess to and compile
that data ?
And Google are selling any information
they can make money on.
If enough owners use that function
it could make a hell of a survay of the
goldfields.

Just a thought

Swed

i also thought about that very thing, and if google got a high enough data collection of found gold would be worth money to someone, same reason i very rarely take photos of prospecting spots or i choose not to find gold so i can take photos of prospecting spots i mainly go to lol

You should in theory be able to disable the gps function and location information as you can on your phone, if not it's not a good thing, everyone has the right to choose. :)

No way would I use that function or let google amass that kind of information and later possibley collate and on sell it.
Its not paranoid to not trust google thats the busines they are in ..information....

I raised this very topic some time ago in another thread, some called me paranoid, others said they thought it possible.

Who knows for sure?

Minelab however, do include this Disclaimer in the ZED's User Manual.

24xgsao.jpg

I reckon that any data from your machine that you decide to store in 'Cloud' based storage, is definitely fair game for the Google Spiders!

What Minelab are saying in short I guess is, that if this happens, Its your fault as you have chosen to add your Geostore Data online.

Meta

Thats a better outcome Meta
Why would anyone want to share location data on the internet and have it possibly used by others with out permission.
Would make me very cautious about mineleb but. Glad its only the user that can store and access the info on their MD and on their PC ..
Much safer ;)

How many use the GPS and mapping. I think ya will find
not many due to the point you have made.

The data is saved in the xchange program where you have a user login arrangement. The data is private to your own account and does not get posted to google maps. Like some other programs, xchange just overlays a copy of the area from Google maps.

Mmmmh?
I'm a bit paranoid about anything to do with, anyone who sells information, anything Google and really paranoid about the icloud thingy.......

I turn off GPS enabled apps, my ute is so old it thinks that a Global Positioning Satellite is called Sputnik!

It may not be pretty but, I find Gold too hard to find, so I really don't want to share my travels, particularly with someone with blisters on their bums and not their hands.

Paranoid as ever

Bazz

Those who worry about where the ZED's data is travelling probably use a smartphone GPS app for navigation and area research, and dont realize the consequences of this?

Your android/apple app is probably uploading more data to google than the GPZ ever will.

Know what i mean?

Latest posts