Is it Wrong to ask Where ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree Dam It. (I mean I agree with dam it, not "I agree damn it!"). Sometimes, especially when you have a strong view on a topic, what is written can be mis-read or taken in a different context to what was intended.

Now lets all get back to more important matters - can someone please give me the co-ords for Lasseter's Reef :p .

davent said:
Ahhhhh Lasseters reef eh, thats in my neck of the woods!

Now, I wrote the co-ords down somewhere, on the back of a receipt....or was it a coaster?.....now where did I put it.....dam it!...and I mean Dam it! Its here somewhere, it was near......
:lol: :lol: :D :eek: :p ;)

1463040322_images-58.jpeg

Like this, proof positive. :eek:
It's how we can all be at times. :lol:

dam it said:
JeffP said:
Where you found your Gold ? Is this question "unethical"? Is there some unwritten law/rule about this ?

I ask this because , I have come across some very rude people that answer "NSW or NT etc "
I dont want GPS marks , just a general locality . I know myself , that I am willing to answer something like , " At Hillend or Orange etc "
Why do some people act so secretively ? Are they really that paranoid they think others might find "their patch" by just saying in what "general" area they found it ?
I know this forum shares info pretty well ,,, but by Jesus , some of the Facebook Groups are agro about it .
I think every one that has comented on this topic should maybe give it another read ;)
And not take shite personal :( the quetion was not meant like most have taken it :|
Now I am far from being an overly intelligent person and often put my foot in my mouth and coment on these type of topics early .....not this time :|
Please Guys just calm down a little .
:)
Thanks mate , you have hit the nail on the head .
Just so some of you guys know , I have my spots , have done my research and regularly find Gold ;)

I thought the Facebook groups were quite helpful. I asked for some info on their finds & they sent me the exact co-ordinates. Heres a quick screenshot:

Very helpful blokes :eek: :lol:

At the end of the day there's no right or wrong answer to the original question & as you see from the different responses it's a personal thing. I don't think anyone's "very rude" if they only tell you the state. Personally I'll sometimes say at least the region if not the general area such as Tambaroora Fossicking Area - that's where I find all my gold :lol:
Rather than most not reading the original question properly I think most just expanded on it, at least I did, as getting down to the nitty gritty of these questions probably (for me anyway) better explains why some are now very guarded (not very rude ;) ) even about general areas. If someone doesn't want to tell you general area info there's no use harping on about it - move on - for every person who won't tell there'll be someone else who will & others that'll give you the full explicit instructions on how to get there.

I don't know JeffP personally but do know from exchanging a few PM's that he does do his own research etc. I've helped him track down diggings before & also advised him to get the info taken down due to it being on private property for the reasons I expanded on in earlier posts.

To sum up yes there is some unwritten rule for a lot of people on giving or not giving locations but in my experience & my own opinion it is to do with more specific locations, not so much general areas, hence why I expanded on it to start with.
I feel a lot of people don't give general areas as they might not want extra attention in that general area as a whole or don't want the inevitable questions trying to narrow it down more? Location or none at least they share their finds I guess?

Admin edit: image removed as it's not appropriate for a family forum.

:eek: Maaaate, weirdos or what!? They want people to eat their D#@k? If someone did then how would they.......? Still trying to figure out people who say "I eat sh@t like you for breakfast" Why would any sane human being eat sh@t? Tell em no thanks I'm a bacon and eggs kinda guy :lol:

Jon said:
:eek: Maaaate, weirdos or what!? They want people to eat their D#@k? If someone did then how would they.......? Still trying to figure out people who say "I eat sh@t like you for breakfast" Why would any sane human being eat sh@t? Tell em no thanks I'm a bacon and eggs kinda guy :lol:

now I am confused ....

Confused. I replied to a post that had an image deleted by the Admin, and fair enough Admin well done. Good to see mate.

Answer to original question.
Yes it is impolite (not rude!) to ask where someone has researched for hours and hours, explored and hiked for kilometers to find at the very least some hard earned gold even in the general/ public areas all around Australia. If you want general prospecting areas, the library, or Google are your friend.
Contribute, help or assist someone to either the gold areas researched, or another known areas and they should help out with other areas.
Usually you start with a general area or two to start with to test their loyalty and honesty. If they rape and pillage the area, tell their mates or leave holes to upset landowners then that's the end of it. No harm done you didn't divulge your 10oz patches that you are waiting to get the latest and deeper model detector onto when they are released in future years.
Like fishing, trust takes years to develop with another. There are no free rides when it comes to prospecting. Asking over a forum will get you a generic or smart ass response.
Saying that I have seen posts on this forum and have privately posted pm's (even regular members) to help out. I always ask how they went and to let me know if they get something. I haven't heard back from a single one yet. I have seen either theirs or their mates diggings. I hope they got a little something as they don't know my good spots.

Yep, I'll tell if the asker is willing to chuck in for the fuel iv spent over the years finding and testing spots, tyres, services on the 4b doing so, maps, hundreds of hours research and who knows how many hours trudging over hill and dale in search of the ever elusive along with all the detectors. Any takers now? ....................chirp chirp chirp.....(crickets)

At risk of being tedious.... It has been said several times, as well as reminders from the OP..... Nobody said you have to give your exact location or any other spot away.... the question was only if it was ok to ask the general geographical area..... Obviously nobody in their right mind would divulge their latest honey hole, we know that FFS.

Wolfy said:
At risk of being tedious.... Nobody said you have to give your exact location or any other spot away.... the question was only if it was ok to ask the general geographical area..... Obviously nobody in their right mind would divulge their latest honey hole, we know that FFS.

In my opinion, that isnt what irk'd people - it was calling people rude for giving general info such as NSW, VIC etc etc ......

rotor said:
Wolfy said:
At risk of being tedious.... Nobody said you have to give your exact location or any other spot away.... the question was only if it was ok to ask the general geographical area..... Obviously nobody in their right mind would divulge their latest honey hole, we know that FFS.

In my opinion, that isnt what irk'd people - it was calling people rude for giving general info such as NSW, VIC etc etc ......

Ahhh, ok, fair enough. Personally, if i was to ask the "where did you get it" question, thats all i expect in an answer.

Latest posts