Investing in a cars, machinery.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Won't be long.

1557495132_capture.jpg

At the end of the day it's all about control nothing more nothing less regardless of what is best. It's what drives technology given the new age technology is about perametre control and record of accounts. Silicone Valley needs a future according to some :rolleyes:

A few months ago there was an article in the paper about govt pushing electric car take up and talking about the phasing out of petrol cars with tougher emissions controls .

I wrote to a govt minister and asked what they would do to protect the streetability of vintage and collectable cars in Australia when they started to plan legislation to make petrol power obsolete but they couldnt be stuffed replying.

My point was there are collectable cars worth up to 70 million each for the Ferrari 250 GTO , 1 million dollars for Mercedes gullwing , million bucks for GTHO etc , these cars need to be given exclusions from the new emissions rules so they can still be driven over the next 40 years , knowing the ability of govt to fukc up everything they touch it wouldnt surprise me if some nutter in govt chooses to write them all off the road .

Not being sexist or anything but will it be a politician who happens to have more love for Louis Vuitton handbags who decides all collectable cars should be scrapped ?

If they ever tried, People Power would change their mind real quick....

Unlike Highbankers in NSW where People Power NEVER got the chance to have a say... But we wont go there... :rolleyes:

LW....

A real problem for electric cars is how they are going to tax them like they do through the fuel excise currently. That is a big reason why petrol and diesel will be powering our cars for some time yet.

Massive rego to fix the roads ;) I'm sure that is the first thing they have worked out as well as plan b through to z :) weight is probably an added one also. Of course them issues won't happen straight away, they would have to hold off for the masses to adapt. Think solar on houses similarities then cars.

If you read the papers and the many articles online the Australian government already has proposed a number of times to TAX EVs on distance travelled.
A proposal of levy per km has been mentioned no less than 100 times over the last two years or so?

Looking overseas, Europe, USA etc many tax incentives and rebates are offered to EV owners?
Our Leaders are wondering why the take up of EVs is so LOW?

Hyundi has launched an EV Kona, its priced around 30k more than the electric version, OUCH. :money:
Though has the best range of all the EVs on sale atm.

I did some calculations on the Re-charge cost using the average price of electricity in Australia.
Worked out at $28.50 per charge. Would take a while without any new levy on EVs to put the
owners in front cah wise when compared with a petrol powered one.

On Vintage and classic cars, if we did go down the road of restricting the sale of Petrol / Diesel or totally excluding it.
I think has the existing petrol and diesel fleet aged the price would rise dramatically to force the transition to EVs.
At some point it would not be economically viable to import a small amount of fuel for Car club and enthusiasts picnic runs
on sunny Sundays. This would be a game changer for the viability of retaining old and historic cars, and converting them to
electric power would destroy their heritage, i doubt many owners would be willing to do that?

A "light hearted moment" ???????

I can't remember how many Beetles, Kombi's, Type3's and Passat's I've had in my 46yrs as a Volkswagen mechanic. At 15yrs old I left school to start an apprenticeship. My first car was a Hillman Minx with 4 on the column, then my first 1953 Beetle was bought for $50 with a blown gearbox then sprayed it flat black with 15 cans of pressure paint then drove it home after work. I had another 1958 Beetle with an 1835cc hot motor and blew the Diff laying rubber at the lights (with bolts and oil on the ground) on a Friday afternoon of a long weekend right outside Parramatta Court House on Church st.

The list goes on and on but the one I can't forget was with our own business, St Marys Beetle Center, when with my father in law helping to replace a muffler on their VW Passat, the car was on the hoist 6ft up with my mother in law inside. We were using the oxy to help remove the old muffler. In those days Passats had plastic fuel lines so I was using a small sheet of fibro to stop the oxy flame from hitting the fuel line (bad idea) a small part of the flame was deflecting and melted the fuel line, then it happened, a fireball running to the ground and spreading outwards with my mother inlaw in the car. Woooops!!!!!
A fire extinguisher put it all out and my mother inlaw was none the wiser. Dad never told her and nor did I.

If I had a big shed and all the VW's I've ever owned it would pay for my retirement.

travelergold said:
Having been a car nut all my life I have enjoyed some very nice cars that i collected and kept. Only have a couple left now and they are for sale as health determines that other things are now more important. Havve sold in last couple years an EH holden with genuine 37000 miles on clock, no rust, was in new car condition, HR sedan with 67000 miles all original in as new condition also never touched in any way,, HK monaro GTS in good condition, repo 1932 ford 2 window coupe with 671 chev power, LH SLR 5000 in imaculate condition. Cannot store cars now as have shifted into small 2 bed house. Currently selling my 1927 T hotrod coupe with V12 mercedes motor. Picture added. Will have last to HR premier sedans, one a gen X2 for sale shortly, one in fair condition but rust free, the other minor rust but needing work.
Any body interested just PM me. Asking $55k neg for hotrod.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/5200/1557449429_20190407_170256.jpg

pm sending

They need to sell electric cars to enforce taking petrol/diesel cars off the road. If people dont buy into the electric "con" cars wont be made, and these companies won't make any profit.

People need to stand up and say enough is enough!!
But I don't know if it's just here in Oz, people just go with what's enforced on them, ffs! They need to grow some balls, have a good riot and show the law makers we aren't a push over.

They can't just stop people's freedom of movement, I certainly won't be buying any electric car, which has to be charged by a coal fired power station, where's the low emissions there?

This bullshit, smoke and mirrors needs to stop, and the government need to stop trying to look good on the world stage.

Wake up everybody, we already have the world's highest power prices, what happens when they control your freedom of movement....you go nowhere, because you can't afford to. Plus if you own an electric car or house battery storage system, purchased through any government rebate scheme, if the grid goes down you have to plug your car into the grid to power the grid, it may sound stupid but it will be legislation.

Sorry for the rant, but this ev shite makes my blood boil.

Cheers. :poop: :poop:

Swinging & digging said:
If you read the papers and the many articles online the Australian government already has proposed a number of times to TAX EVs on distance travelled.
A proposal of levy per km has been mentioned no less than 100 times over the last two years or so?

Looking overseas, Europe, USA etc many tax incentives and rebates are offered to EV owners?
Our Leaders are wondering why the take up of EVs is so LOW?

Hyundi has launched an EV Kona, its priced around 30k more than the electric version, OUCH. :money:
Though has the best range of all the EVs on sale atm.

I did some calculations on the Re-charge cost using the average price of electricity in Australia.
Worked out at $28.50 per charge. Would take a while without any new levy on EVs to put the
owners in front cah wise when compared with a petrol powered one.

On Vintage and classic cars, if we did go down the road of restricting the sale of Petrol / Diesel or totally excluding it.
I think has the existing petrol and diesel fleet aged the price would rise dramatically to force the transition to EVs.
At some point it would not be economically viable to import a small amount of fuel for Car club and enthusiasts picnic runs
on sunny Sundays. This would be a game changer for the viability of retaining old and historic cars, and converting them to
electric power would destroy their heritage, i doubt many owners would be willing to do that?

Over here electric cars don't pay road tax ( REGO ) and they are free to drive in the emission zones and the get about a 5K Sterling rebate which is about 9k AUD. and that includes Hybrid cars, Turns out the Toyota Prius although called a Hybrid actually puts out more emissions than a normal petrol car when running on petrol and it has bad fuel economy,

Electric vehicles emit more CO2 than diesel ones, German study shows
Wednesday, 17 April 2019 19:29

Electric vehicles emit more CO2 than diesel ones, German study shows

Belga

Electric vehicles in Germany account for more CO2 emissions than diesel ones, according to a study by German scientists.

When CO2 emissions linked to the production of batteries and the German energy mix - in which coal still plays an important role - are taken into consideration, electric vehicles emit 11% to 28% more than their diesel counterparts, according to the study, presented on Wednesday at the Ifo Institute in Munich.

Mining and processing the lithium, cobalt and manganese used for batteries consume a great deal of energy. A Tesla Model 3 battery, for example, represents between 11 and 15 tonnes of CO2. Given a lifetime of 10 years and an annual travel distance of 15,000 kilometres, this translates into 73 to 98 grams of CO2 per kilometre, scientists Christoph Buchal, Hans-Dieter Karl and Hans-Werner Sinn noted in their study.

The CO2 given off to produce the electricity that powers such vehicles also needs to be factored in, they say.

When all these factors are considered, each Tesla emits 156 to 180 grams of CO2 per kilometre, which is more than a comparable diesel vehicle produced by the German company Mercedes, for example.

The German researchers, therefore, take issue with the fact that European officials view electric vehicles as zero-emission ones. They note further that the EU target of 59 grams of CO2 per km by 2030 corresponds to a technically unrealistic consumption of 2.2 litres of diesel or 2.6 litres of gas per 100 kms.

These new limits pressure German and other European car manufacturers into switching massively to electric vehicles whereas, the researchers feel, it would have been preferable to opt for methane engines, whose emissions are one-third less than those of diesel motors.

Oscar Schneider
The Brussels Times

(Source: Belga news agency)

Gpx5000 said:
They need to sell electric cars to enforce taking petrol/diesel cars off the road. If people dont buy into the electric "con" cars wont be made, and these companies won't make any profit.

People need to stand up and say enough is enough!!
But I don't know if it's just here in Oz, people just go with what's enforced on them, ffs! They need to grow some balls, have a good riot and show the law makers we aren't a push over.

They can't just stop people's freedom of movement, I certainly won't be buying any electric car, which has to be charged by a coal fired power station, where's the low emissions there?

This bullshit, smoke and mirrors needs to stop, and the government need to stop trying to look good on the world stage.

Wake up everybody, we already have the world's highest power prices, what happens when they control your freedom of movement....you go nowhere, because you can't afford to. Plus if you own an electric car or house battery storage system, purchased through any government rebate scheme, if the grid goes down you have to plug your car into the grid to power the grid, it may sound stupid but it will be legislation.

Sorry for the rant, but this ev shite makes my blood boil.

Cheers. :poop: :poop:

I love them and cant wait to own one .

Having already seen what happens when your Tesla runs low on Killawasps when it comes out of melbourne to a small country town in North east victoria.( Frantic search for a 30amp 3phase outlet) or ( call the tilt tray tow company) I think this electric car fade will be just for the hippster inner city dwellers that think the outback starts at the 100k signs on the Calder and Hume. Even if the infrastructure does get rolled out along the major interstate highways it will add hrs to any trip that requires more than 2 fuel stops. great for the inservo cafe trade.

jethro said:
Having already seen what happens when your Tesla runs low on Killawasps when it comes out of melbourne to a small country town in North east victoria.( Frantic search for a 30amp 3phase outlet) or ( call the tilt tray tow company) I think this electric car fade will be just for the hippster inner city dwellers that think the outback starts at the 100k signs on the Calder and Hume. Even if the infrastructure does get rolled out along the major interstate highways it will add hrs to any trip that requires more than 2 fuel stops. great for the inservo cafe trade.

But in the future, the tilt tray company will probably run out of killawasps trying to reach you. :poop: :poop:
It will get plugged into the grid, but the grid can't handle ev charging, so we'll have to import electricity from China, which will probably have some import tax, because the power can't be bought here, then when your tilt tray is charged, the gutless Aussie government will make them supply power back to the grid, draining the batteries for which they'll get paid fukc all for, then they'll have to recharge the batteries at a premium price.....just call me Mr cynical.....but you watch!!

Yes Jethro,
I have seen perhaps 10 electric cars on the road in the last 18 months and three were waiting for tow trucks!
Out of those 3, all where Tesla's?

Overpriced piece of garbage in my opinion. :poop:

Latest posts