Introduction to Marvel

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a newbie and interested in starting to do some prospecting as a weekend hobby. I live near Warrnambool Victoria near the beach so would like to start with a detector suited to beachcombing initially but also some bush land till I better understand what's involved. What do you suggest is a good beginner / intermediate unit to maybe start out with I have done some research and the Fisher F44 seems to have mostly good reviews but there is one or two who don't like them or is it like cars Holden verses Ford what your use too more.

I'm after buying something around that $500-$600 mark to start with, some of the other bigger units are a lot more expensive which I feel would be better once I get a better grasp on prospecting.

Your thoughts of a suitable unit? The idea of a waterproof unit is good as the weather changes quickly down here sunny one moment raining next till we get closer to summer.

Regards Mark.

Gday Marvel, and welcome to the Forum,... I use an ACE250, and just gaffa tape a snaplock sandwhich bag over the housing for wet weather work(SEQ),... I hunt the beach , parks and bush,.. have a look through this thread below(sorry it has 36 pages to it so far) and you will see the sort of finds you can get with an ACE250 as well as a few hints along the way as to using it as well. Good enough for a simple starter unit until your sure you want to get right into it and spend a lot more money.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5295&p=1

G'Day Mark, welcome from another newcomer to the PA website and forum. Enjoy the journey of your new hobby.

The Peacekeeper.

Hi Atom,

Yes beach combing to start would love to try shipwrecks I am a rescue diver but the gear costs too much to start with. So grind my teeth for a while getting the basics first with a cheaper unit. Gems and gold sounds good but a bit later.
:)

Welcome to the best forum in Australia Mark.

Have a look at the Fisher Gold bug Pro.
The ground balance system handles the toughest of ground conditions, capable of balancing all the
way to salt. No longer do you need a specialized detector for prospecting and another for coins and
relics: the Gold Bug Pro. excels at both. (These are not my words they are from a Fisher catalogue)

This bloke here knows his stuff:-
http://www.detectorprospector.com/gold-prospecting-guides/steve-guide-gold-nugget-detectors.htm

Fisher F44 information here:-
http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/582-new-detectors-from-fisher-teknetics/

He doesn't sell em, he uses em.
Have a look around his site there is very good unbiased information on a lot of different detectors.

I have a Gold bug Pro. myself they are very, very easy to learn and use, I have not used it on the
beach but I am very happy with in the bush.

At the moment you can pick one up for just under $1,000 with the 5" DD coil and the 10" elliptical DD
coil. off an official Fisher Australian dealer.
(be careful there are lots of Chinese knockoffs on the market for a lot less)

I better stop here, anyone would think I was selling the bloody things.

Just remember Mark, my opinion costs you nothing and could cause you great disappointment and
frustration as well. Being so bloody good looking does not automatically make me an expert on
anything, the final decision is yours. I hope you pick the right one for you. Happy days, Jimmy.

Edit: to fix links

Latest posts