In my own back yard

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went for a hunt in my back yard got today with my brothers garrett at pro
Tried to use my ATX but there was way to much rubbish and I still havnt got it all sorted yet
But I found
3 half penny's
2 $1 coins
2 20cent coins
1 10cent coin
3 5cent coins
A Religious medallion of some sort
And lots of trash will post some picks very soon
I found somthing else I don't think it's gold but I would like some help to identify it ( as soon as I get pics up)
But I was very surprised what was in my own yard was a good little hunt

Good haul for ya back yard Alfie.
I really need to explore mine more. I live in an old area and had buildings on the site previous to our house.
Only found 1 halfpenny, a couple of matchbox cars and trash so far.

Thanks mate I have tried everything but still no joy don't know what's going on

open the images in PAINT, click on the resize button type in say 50 and the bottom box will turn into 50 aswell, click ok, the go to file....save as....rename your file (i usually use the file name and just put RESIZE on the end of it, make sure its saved as a jpeg and generally that resize will take it well under 1mb

1394621757_image.jpg

Some interesting finds Alfie. More so as it's your own back yard. Glad you sorted the pic uploading.
You c an add more than 1 pic to each post. Just do the same process as the first one.

Just a few guesses, but the bottom relic seems to be a toy die-cast pistol, medallion looks like brass (green copper oxidation on it), and the "gold" looks to me like a chunk of chalcopyrite. If it were gold, something that size would have some weight to it, might pay to throw it on some scales. Try a streak test on the back of an old ceramic tile (rub a part of the rock on the tile), if the streak is gold, then you may have something interesting, but if black or red, it won't be gold. Gold is also malleable, but I don't like the idea of hammering a nice nugget to death. :)

If it were chalcopyrite, or pyrite, does seem strange that it has no oxidation from being in the ground for whatever length of time, unless you had already cleaned it up before photos. Does seem to have some tarnish or iridescence to it though.

Thanks goldpick it is malleable it weighs 19 grams just rubbed it on the back of a old ceramic cooking dish it left a gold line I gave it a clean when I pulled it out of the ground I took a pic before I cleaned it I will upload it

Latest posts