Identification please.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there all, Have been in Dunolly for the last 4 days with the GPS mapping and planning the first areas for the upcoming GPZ.
Mrs Redfin had a swing here and there and came across this with the SDC, in a very well flogged area.
Was about 30cm down, in shallow, hard, packed ground
Looks an unusual cross [ to me]
It had an eyelet on the top which fell off and has a mark on one side which could have been a hinge?
So maybe a locket of some sort.

Only been cleaned with a rag at this stage

The Front

1424126968_dsc01255.jpg

The Back

1424127040_dsc01256.jpg

Its a Victorian era Photo Locket or Keepsake as they were known, the ring on the inside (high lip in your photo) was to hold a photo and sometimes a piece of your loved ones hair.

Would have originally been enameled on the front and a piece of curved glass would have fitted behind the ring to protect the photo / memento.

The cross represents Jesus and the leaves represent the 12 apostles.

Nice find. Now go back and find the back piece of it. :D

Mrs Redfin certainly got a nice score,... if that was there, then nobody ever walked over that little spot looking for gold(go slow and deep on that little spot),... could have been the front of a locket that held a love ones treasured curly locks close to the heart,... or if it didn't have an eyelet at all it could be the top of an old snuff box as it's around the right size.

Thanks for that, will have a good chance of finding the rest.
The find location is inside an area I'm going to grid.

It never ceases to amaze me the stuff that is pulled out of the ground with metal detectors, interesting find. :)

Latest posts