id please. have i just brought home a bunch of river stones

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1403572384_gem2.jpg
Finally managed to take a pic of a few of them... any thoughts on what they are?

1403571871_gem.jpg

1403572403_gem3.jpg

have i just kept a bag of river stones lol

no sapphires sorry the purple stuff is like opal keep trying once you find your first one the pressure is of you will have better idea of what to look for then the hunt begins and the fever sets in then you dream about them :)

Some of those look like they would come up well in a rock tumbler.
If it looks "pretty" bring it home, at the very worst you will have some nice rocks for the garden.

I agree with shivan, throw them in a rock tumbler for a while and see how they turn out. As they say, value is in the eye of the beholder ;)

Dang it!! they are not big enough for the garden so tiny lol
mmmm im looking online at rock tumblers now, they seem cheap enough.
any ideas what the little red ones may be?

I can say these are the classic stones I find next to the sapphires, so looks like you are in the right area.

It's a bit hard to tell from the photo, but could be anything from quartz to zircon or garnet, maybe a topaz? Some of the regulars out there may have a better idea. I did find a fe similar stones out there but forgot to pick them up before I left 8.(

How does the centre photo top-left stone look like on top of a torch, could be a silky light blue sapphire????

A bit hard to tell with that one, could just be grey quartz, torch light would give a better indication.

There are soooo many different types of rock and minerals at GG you'd have to be pretty good with rocks to identify most. There is quite a lot of Quartz there, the sharper Purpley clearish bits I think erode out of the Granite there, the Granite is very course textured.

I think mostly Quartz though in Spuds pics.

If it looks good keep it. At the end of the day you need a degree to work out if it is precious so if you like it just as the others said give it a tumble .

Latest posts