Iconic Aussie Business Names

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not sure if a thread like this exists already or not, but sometimes you come across a place that makes you giggle and think "I couldn't imagine a business called that anywhere but in Oz"

Here's one in Murtoa Victoria

1612305422_businessnames.jpg

Remembering back to 1981 when news of the huge export beef meat substitution racket broke, where ground roo meat was being mixed in with ground beef destined for the USA and it was very damaging at the time. One day I was traveling home on the train, and as it was pulling away from a station stop I caught sight of the local Butcher's sign writing on the shop facade proudly announcing HOPPY'S Quality Meats :awful: :awful: :D

When I was an apprentice brickie my boss told me 3 beauty's;
Bricklaying business called - "Giant erections"
One called one called "Rough, slow and expensive" and a pool backfilling company called "pools aren't us"!

DrDuck said:
Years ago (probably early '80s) there was only one Chinese business in Ashfield in Sydney. It was called the Wang King Chinese Delicatessen.

We always used to say let's send a pic into the Hey Hey It's Saturday funny signs segment, but never did.

I wonder if there are any Melbourne people here who can remember back in the 80's along the Nepean Highway, somewhere around Aspendale or Chelsea? There was the Fook Hing Chinese restaurant :lol:

I often used to ride my motorbike past it, on the way home from visiting my folks in their caravan down at Sorrento when they were on holiday. Sadly, I just took it for granted and never thought about stopping to take a photo. There is a Vietnamese restaurant there now with a different/ more sedate name.

When I was young, my older brother would answer the phone in different voices. He used a morbid voice saying Alfred James Funeral Directors & a high pitched voice saying Hop Sing Chinese Lesteraunt

About 20 years later Deb & I went to Tassie & what did we see? Hop Sing Chinese Restaurant!

Back in 81 I visited Darwin and left the RAAF base and headed into town we saw a sign in big letters on top of a huge shed. The letters were the abreviation for Carlton United Northern Territory. I guess that goes along with their current tourism logos.

Cheers

Doug

In Port Adelaide there used to be a Huge Sign board with -

" A DONG Chinese Restaurant "

:8

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Gave me giggles everytime I passed by it..

I did take a picture once, buggered if I know where it is, and I think they are no longer there.

Greenhornet_au said:
In Port Adelaide there used to be a Huge Sign board with -

" A DONG Chinese Restaurant "

:8

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Gave me giggles everytime I passed by it..

I did take a picture once, buggered if I know where it is, and I think they are no longer there.

On Grand Junction Rd, Port Adelaide, still there I think.

In East Brisbane the Lord Stanley Hotel used to have the "Lord Stanley Donger" on the menu which was a foot long 1.5 inch thick very tangy/tasty curved sausage served with mash and a bit of salad. I think it was about $9 a meal and was damn tasty and of course very filling.

Latest posts