Ice Cold Gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben78

Ben
Reaction score
Took the new (to me) Gold Bug SE out to Hanging Rock today hoping to pick up some small bits on the bedrock and under the powerlines where my GPX hates to run. As we drove up the mountain I spotted some ice on the side of the road. Initially I thought it may have been snow from yesterday's stormy weather, but no it was hail. I don't think it got much above 0 up there today.

As for the Gold Bug, it has reminded me why I don't use a VLF for gold any more haha, machine gun noise of hotrocks is unbelievable up there - and you should hear the basalt scream its head off! On one section though I got a very promising zip zip and lower phase reading. Took me bloody ages to get the piece though and it ended up being a tiny tiny flake of iron grrrr.

Also had a bit of a pan in a couple of normally dry gullies, water flowing off ice is really hard to pan in, couldn't feel my fingers after a while!

1406437441_dsc01713_medium.jpg

1406437424_img_20140727_092619_medium.jpg

Good work panning in the cold.. Off to Gordon
Tomorrow and packing water proove gloves

Looks a bit chilly for detecting. Can't wait to get up there with the SDC for a swing and a look around, when it's a few degrees warmer.

Great pics Ben. I bought a hunting balaclava to help keep the the chill off. We'll have to catch for a swing soon, I'm hoping to be back up there within the next few weeks, possibly staying 3-4 nights.

Latest posts