I know its not gold, but what is it?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My father in law handed me this rock and asked if I could find out what it is for him.

It was found in Coal bearing ground and from what I'm told there's heaps of it. Its also quite solid and weighty.

1369449538_img_20130525_123548.jpg

Cheers,
Nugget - Matt

Nugget Some open cut coal mines are loaded with it commonly known as Fools Gold ...Iron Pyrites ?????

L/R

I think you're spot on there LR. I just looked it up in Google and found some almost identical pics. Thanks mate.

There was a bloke at the pit I worked at years ago thought is was the Real thing and took it to a Jeweler , Thinking some one was having a lend of this bloke the jeweler said Yeh it's the real thing!!!!! All hell broke loose ..Trying to convince Old Mate it was'nt was life threatening !!!!!!! "We " were all out to rob him of his fortune !!!!!

L/R

Thanks guys. Apparently this is one of the smaller pieces, and even though I've already told him its not gold, I'm sure he'll be a tad disappointed when I tell him what it is.

First Thing I found ended up being Pyrite but boosted my motivation to find the real stuff.

Latest posts