I got kicked out WARNING

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hello everyone My name is Hamish today i was metal detecting at South bank Park lands Brisbane beach at around 6:30am and a security guard came up to me and threatened me by saying "if u dont leave now i will call the cops to come and deal with u" iv called around and found out that a privately owned security company mangers the parkland. and they told me its in there policy people cant go metal detecting there. But there is no information about it online as far as i can see. as far as i know u can metal detect on any public parkland. i know there are some restrictions but ill leave that for now. my point is they need to put signs up on public property saying that u cant metal detect hear. And u get kicked out for no reason all i was using was my metal detector my pin pointer and my hands to dig and i get kicked out the kids do more damage. ITS a beach for every one to enjoy and your telling me i get kicked out for nothing. Im just angry with who ever made the rules saying u cant metal detect hear i was planning to go there for 2 hours and i only got to go there for 15mins.

Thank you for reading Hamish

Check with the local council Hamish, I think they would be the ones that set the rules for the area, not a security company.

But what did you find ? ( besides the security gaurd ). :8

G'day Hamish, don't take this the wrong way but I just had a look at the area on google maps and you're really begging for trouble detecting in a sensitive area like that one. It's a really nice park, removing any targets there unless they are right on the surface will leave marks on the ground and upset people. If I were in Brisbane it would not be a spot I would consider for detecting.

If you were doing the sand areas then I coudn't see a problem but it looks like a bit of a tourist park to me.

Yeah what Silver said, find anything good? :)

I'm thinking of going to caloundra kings beach today should I go in the afternoon when most people have left. Because I live in Brisbane and I can't get there early enough in the morning to beat the other MD

G'day MdH. Firstly, goodonya for the finds in such a short time. At that rate i'd be p'd off in being asked to leave as well. (praise)

However, it IS up to the detectorist to KNOW where he is operating, 'before' arrival...and IF it is legal to do so. (Advice)

As to IF you should go somewhere at a certain time, I can't answer to your specific location of interest as i'm not familiar with it, yet i will say that for me, that is incorporated in the 'prospecting' side of the equation in our hobby...

Locations are like targets....you never know if you never go (and see for yourself), like targets, you never know if it's not on show (or retrieved). I rarely take the advice "That place is useless, it's been flogged & flogged HARD'...maybe,....but not by 'me', so until i do it, i will never know if it would produce for 'me'! If your 'gut' is leading you to a place at a certain time...GO FOR IT......you can only learn from the outing. ;) :D

And it is 'me' i do this hobby for...

How about you?..... :p

*edit* I do see VALUE in your plan, as it's always better to detect AFTER folks have gone home at days end, succumbing to the reality they have lost their 'treasures'....and you sweep in and clean up. You also beat the morning guys (the next day)... :lol:

GGA

I wouldn't mention timings on a public forum at places you want to detect, or someone will have been there and cut your grass for sure !
Might I suggest any beach at any time to help in this endeavor (except for SouthBank Beach of course ! :lol: :D 8)

I really do think you pushed your luck by going into the heart of Brisbane-near ABC studios etc. and fossicking. It is very well protected by security cameras etc.
Check the heritage listings of all the parks around town. Therefore i would go outside Brisbane city area to save any hassle.
Jaros