Hydroponics setup

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tathradj

Doug
Reaction score
I have seen a few photo's of a couple of setups and I am keen to build one.
I already have a 16 station RainBird controller that I bought for $10.00 and a
really good pump. And for a reservoir an old wheelie bin.
Also got about 100 Strawberry plants to test with. :) :)
What do you have and what advice would you give. ??

Ramjet, You thinking the wrong thing Bro. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Would you like some photographic evidence. LOL

Hey Tathradj, I followed this through a few years ago. There's a lot of info out there. I found the kiss principle best.
Foam boxes with lids (like the broccoli boxes) cut out places for pots to sit in, decent grow medium for the type of rootstock, continuous pumping and err on the side of under supply for nutrients than over supply and good cleaning maintained and you will be fine.

I grew alpine strawberries (aka pine berries very rare) amongst other things. A laserlight housing is good enough without needing a light/heat system for the vast majority of what you intend to grow. I made some decent veges/fruit but still prefer in ground organic produce. I can send you some emails if you require further info.

Thanks Goldtarget.
Much appreciated.
I will PM my personal addy for you. :)
The photo's are of some high yield plants I propagated last year.
They are in a bit of a mess at the moment and we are looking to move shortly and we do not get frost's here.
This is just some of them. :)
1440899636_img_20150830_114050_small.jpg

1440899636_img_20150830_114058_small.jpg

1440899636_img_20150830_114113_small.jpg

1440899636_img_20150830_114121_small.jpg

May I offer a side suggestion....have you tried bubbleponics ie Deep water culture? I've seen good indoor and outdoor systems and its so basic...air stone in each reservoir, no soil required......should work on strawberries!!!! :lol: :lol:

yep.. if not anough oxygen in the water they will drown and die..my mate had this problem with his huge tomato farm.. personaly I think you cant beat some really nice soil in a good position..by the time you spend the dough to set something up that may or may not not work it is much easyer in my opinion.. :) My mate went broke trying to make a go of it.. :|
Twapster said:
May I offer a side suggestion....have you tried bubbleponics ie Deep water culture? I've seen good indoor and outdoor systems and its so basic...air stone in each reservoir, no soil required......should work on strawberries!!!! :lol: :lol:

I used to run the Grow Fridge for a couple of years with gr8 sucsess.you remember the one's,you used to be able to buy them of the back of the people and picture magazines. :cool: crazy looking big tomatoes those babys.hoof!!!! They were like Jedi swords. ;)

Mow yer grass tath! :lol: I can't talk... there's a lot of interesting hyrdo setups you can make as well if your into that. I was going to make a herb n strawberry pvc wall running off a pump n airating etc..good fun mate and gardenings a great way to relax ( unless you breathe too much mulch bugs like I did last week ) and the outcomes always a tasy one. I love getting some veggies going for my girls

Bloody Grass goes nuts from the Seasol I use to feed the Strawberries. And that is no good as I have
to spend more time mowing grass than other things like,
like,
like,
Prospecting. :D :D :D :D

Rockwool is a good growing medium, also work out the best photo period for lights on & lights off, when to extend or shorten amount of light hours, well if growing under light anyway, thats if stawberries are like tomato's.
Maybe you could even try out some aquaponics, no soil or grow medium, roots just dangle it air rated water running through pvc pipe with holes cut in top for plants, meant to work real well.

Doug, i just bought an out of print book (3rd edition).
1441008127_20150831_175705.jpg

It is a good guide if you can find it. I used the 1st edition to setup a system in the early 80s when I had a large green house. It has formula for nutrient solutions that won't send you broke and while your better off having a copy, I can help you with extracts. PM me.

Barry

Thanks for that Mr R, :D
I have it sorted on what I am going to do and it will happen shortly.
The aquaponics side of it also has me intrigued as well but might be a bit much to take on.
I am thinking of building a 4 rack with 4 x 6'' pipes 2 meters long in each section. Starting with the top 2 first to experiment and
get used to the idea then expanding from that. I even have worked out on how to build the cups so it is going to be interesting. LOL
First I have a meetup and a couple of small projects to get rid of then I will start on this one.
I think that I am going to enjoy it. :D :D

thanks for sharing tathradj seeing your strawberries bought back memories of working for my nan on her lavender farm. shes wake me up every monring at 5am with a bowl of fresh strawberries shes picked ready to take on the massive quartery weeding mission that never ended. :)

i do miss having a decent garden to get stuck into, hopefully when we move back to qld next year i'll find some property and pull up stumps long enough to get a aquaponics setup going :)

i'll be watching this thread i'm sure someone has some crazy setup on here..

Thanks Golddigg,
I have have been really wanting to get into a gardening type thing for ages but having the time to till,
plant and tend is a bit on the sadly lacking of time sorta thing. LOL
A setup like this appeals to me as like a lot of us, I like building things. :D