How's this for a spot!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aussie Detecting

Brad Wilson
Reaction score
Well, I added 45 points to the GPS. I went out today & explored 6! Out of those 6 I found an old mine site. Piles & piles & piles of black sand! Yep that's right. I took out half a bucket & set off to my next way point. Cool that one was just down the rd & had a massive dam :) So I panned off a couple of pans & in each was a little colour. Nice :)
So the next time I return here, there will be 8 buckets at a time & a thorough detect. I have a feeling there will be some gold come out of here.

Hi Lenton....I recon a GPS is a must if you intend on going out detecting. In most areas if you don't mark your car and you head off for what could be a 5 km hike finding your way back can be a real pain. If u strike a couple of nuggets a few km's from your car and you want to go back the next day to clean it up....unless your a homing pigeon chances are you won't find the spot again.....Happened to me plenty of times before i got a GPS...Cheers Wal.

Great advice Wal! I found detecting in the outback really tough to get my bearings. Not so bad in the bush in NSW but out there almost impossible to get your way back without a GPS. Not the area you want to get lost in either.

Latest posts