How to spot a fake Minelab GPX 5000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BigWave said:
Can't tell as it's wrapped and no way you'd get a genuine new one for less that $4.5k. Need to see pictures of the GPX font, handle and front and back covers. I note that the item's location is San Diego, CA, but that's not in Canada as stated, so sure sounds dodgy. You'll also have to pay GST on the import. Ask for serial number and check that with Minelab. Remember the saying: "if it sounds too good to be true..........?" Take care.
The font, at least, is correct

They probably bought a fake ones and want to get rid of them fast
It could be a china drop shipping account, there getting sneaker all the time

1476262999_screenshot_2016-10-12-19-59-16.jpg

Genuine Minelab GPX5000 gold detector.

In good used condition (does have scratches due to not using a protective cover when purchased, serial no label damaged due to stones etc and a metal tab with serial no stamped on has been put on , Minelab did confirm as genuine before I purchased it.)
Only selling as I found a great patch with this detector (see photos) and have purchased a used GPZ7000 to go over the patch.
* Comes with the following ;
* 11" dd coil
* 11" mono coil
* Many other coils available at extra cost (will be listing soon)
* Lion battery
* 240 volt battery charger.
* 12 volt car charger
* koss head phones
* external speaker
* after market backpack
* heavy duty pick
* protective leather cover
* manual
* minelab carry bag

* Has found some great lumps of gold (gold in photo's not included)
(please note gold is kept in safety deposit box & not on my premises)

* Genuine buyers only
* Will accept PayPal but buyer to pay the fees
cash or bank deposit
* Will post anywhere in Australia for $39
or pick up in Clifton Spring or East Malvern.

Am I being over paranoid? I have read through all the existing fake gpx threads and been on minelab website. This gpx is 3 hrs away and I don't want to drive there to realise it's a fake. Thanks guys and girls.

It looks ok by the font type etc.
Being knocked around a bit would probably put me off but it doesn't mean it would be no good though. Just my preference to get a well looked after detector.
A damaged serial number label could be a bit of a concern - my concern wouldn't be that this one is fake but maybe stolen at some point?
Get the serial number & check it out with Minelab. Give them a ring & ask about the metal tag - if it's under warranty would they honour warranty with a metal tag on it like that?
Is the current owner registered as the owner with Minelab? Get a bit of history on it & see if it matches what the seller says (if he has details like original place of purchase when new etc.)
You can never be too careful when spending a few grand on something. If you do decide to go for a look & know someone who knows a bit about them see if they can go with you.

Yes I agree it looks legitimate. I was a bit concerned with the serial number being damaged and replaced

Yes I agree it looks legitimate. I was a bit concerned with the serial number being damaged and replaced

Thanks mbasko I have asked for the serial number so I can complete checks with minelab like you said. No reply yet and I wasnt keen on the bumps and scratches either. I'm just limited budget wise and thus is the only one I can afford. If anyone is selling a 4500 I would be happy with that too. Will see if he replies to my serial number request lol

Well the seller has provided serial number and seems pretty genuine. Will have to see and have a look condition wise etc

Latest posts