How to get a signal to a backyard TV? Help!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm having some mates over tomorrow night for origin (pending weather) and I plan on having the TV set up down the back.

Tonight I tested a mates TV he has lent me ( I don't have a TV ) inside the house and it worked fine.
We then hooked a roll of coax cable up and it still worked fine inside, but once the cable was unrolled and the TV set up 30+ metres outside the house it would not get any channels..

The guy at Jaycar told me bunny ears are badically useless.

Do I need a booster of some sort?

My other option is to stream the game on my ipad and use a lightning to hdmi connector to display it on the TV.

Anyone got any suggestions :| ?
Thanks
Reeko

If you are friendly with the neighbours ask to run the cable to their aerial to see if it works better. Or you could try getting your antenna higher.

I reckon it's weird that it worked inside but not outside on the same cable, not sure Reeko. Did you try walking carrying the TV while on and see where the signal starts to cut out?

As Jaros said, you can get 'active' portable antennas that have a booster built in.
Also agree that its weird that it worked inside on the same cable, but not outside. Maybe investigate that more before you have to buy more gear???

Sounds like a poor cable connection to me, you may have pulled on 1 a bit when you were shifting the tv, redo both ends and see what happens

Do you know anybody nearby with a mobile Sat TV. We get perfect reception in the back on nowhere.

Sounds like a poor cable connection to me, you may have pulled on 1 a bit when you were shifting the tv, redo both ends and see what happens
X2.
Only reason it would work in the house & not outside (cos it's still running off the same antenna) is if you have pulled one of the connections apart.
You haven't touched the tuner/on off buttons on the side of the TV while moving it have you?

Rob.

Reeks said:
I'm having some mates over tomorrow night for origin (pending weather) and I plan on having the TV set up down the back.

Tonight I tested a mates TV he has lent me ( I don't have a TV ) inside the house and it worked fine.
We then hooked a roll of coax cable up and it still worked fine inside, but once the cable was unrolled and the TV set up 30+ metres outside the house it would not get any channels..

The guy at Jaycar told me bunny ears are badically useless.

Do I need a booster of some sort?

My other option is to stream the game on my ipad and use a lightning to hdmi connector to display it on the TV.

Anyone got any suggestions :| ?
Thanks
Reeko

I wouldn't worry too much, you wont miss much anyway :p ]:D

Reeks
With digital TV you either get enough signal so that you get a picture or you don't get enough signal and you don't get any picture. With digital its either on or off. It is very different to the old analogue where if you didn't get enough signal you'd get a fuzzy picture. I use to live up the bush and had marginal signal. I used a bunny ear aerial and booster and got enough signal to get a picture. Glad the booster fixed your problem. Enjoy the game. Cheers

Latest posts