how many of you have a 4x4

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had and loved my Series 100 Cruiser. Adored the power of the 4.5L and all the comfort but hated only getting 3.5Km/L, seemed like half my wages went on fuel. Overall a perfect vehicle. Huge change down to a little Pulsar but at least I can go 500 times around Oz on $20 fuel :)

gavfromoz said:
I've had and loved my Series 100 Cruiser. Adored the power of the 4.5L and all the comfort but hated only getting 3.5Km/L, seemed like half my wages went on fuel. Overall a perfect vehicle. Huge change down to a little Pulsar but at least I can go 500 times around Oz on $20 fuel :)

must have been something wrong with yours , i see others of the same model getting 13 - 17 litres per hundred k's , yours works out to 28 litres / 100 k ? ? ?

was the injector pump ever checked / tuned ?

Hi, yes it was services every 5000km or 6 months with the last service done that included a thorough diagnostic. The results were all ok. The last trip I took in the cruiser was up to Brissie. From the combination of both tanks (140L) I managed to get 820km on the open road with the cruise control set to 110km. Needless to say I sold it soon after getting back. :(

HeadsUp said:
gavfromoz said:

must have been something wrong with yours , i see others of the same model getting 13 - 17 litres per hundred k's , yours works out to 28 litres / 100 k ? ? ?

My son has a 80 series Cruiser and he would easily go through 28 litres of LPG per 100 km. Friend of mine has a diesel and he will go through more than 20 l per 100 km in the city driving. Must be something wrong with it??

Most 4x4's drink like crazy - I drove my big block caddy as a daily for the last 4 years or so and alot of mates with fourbies were on the same km to ltr as that does. (around 4kms p/l)

If you can find a really cluey lpg guy with a dyno you can often put some wicked aftermarket tunes in just about anything to suit what you need - best place to go as silly as it sounds is a performance workshop - a haltech engine management system can be worth its weight in gold if you use your car for a bit of everything, you can have a city - hwy - or 4x4 setting and interchange to whatever your doing.

But rule of thumb of course - the more tired your engine is getting the more juice its going to swallow! Me personally. run a big block in EVERYTHING no matter the cost hahaha the sound and performance can't be beaten! :D

Beagleboy said:
HeadsUp said:
gavfromoz said:

My son has a 80 series Cruiser and he would easily go through 28 litres of LPG per 100 km. Friend of mine has a diesel and he will go through more than 20 l per 100 km in the city driving. Must be something wrong with it??

20 litres / 100k . isnt that about right for city driving ?

gavfromoz said:
Hi, yes it was services every 5000km or 6 months with the last service done that included a thorough diagnostic. The results were all ok. The last trip I took in the cruiser was up to Brissie. From the combination of both tanks (140L) I managed to get 820km on the open road with the cruise control set to 110km. Needless to say I sold it soon after getting back. :(

just to clarify , the tanks are 140 litres each ? or total of two tanks = 140 litres ?

misscadillac1964 said:
Most 4x4's drink like crazy - I drove my big block caddy as a daily for the last 4 years or so and alot of mates with fourbies were on the same km to ltr as that does. (around 4kms p/l)

If you can find a really cluey lpg guy with a dyno you can often put some wicked aftermarket tunes in just about anything to suit what you need - best place to go as silly as it sounds is a performance workshop - a haltech engine management system can be worth its weight in gold if you use your car for a bit of everything, you can have a city - hwy - or 4x4 setting and interchange to whatever your doing.

But rule of thumb of course - the more tired your engine is getting the more juice its going to swallow! Me personally. run a big block in EVERYTHING no matter the cost hahaha the sound and performance can't be beaten! :D

Over the years I have had Troop carrier, Hilux, Jeep Cherokee Sport, TJ Wrangler and Jeep Grand Cherokee. The Grand Cherokee is V8 and uses 17.5 l/100 km in the city and 12 l/100 km on the freeway. We have owned the car since 2003 so its not a new car. I am with you on the big engines because the other 2 Jeeps were 4.0 l 6 cylinders and used the same amount of fuel as the V8 but massive difference in power.
My other car is A6 Quattro. Not a off roader but I love driving it hard in the rain. :)

HeadsUp said:
Beagleboy said:
HeadsUp said:
gavfromoz said:

20 litres / 100k . isnt that about right for city driving ?

20 l/100 km is very poor for a diesel even in a city. Off road is even worst.

Beagleboy said:
misscadillac1964 said:

Over the years I have had Troop carrier, Hilux, Jeep Cherokee Sport, TJ Wrangler and Jeep Grand Cherokee. The Grand Cherokee is V8 and uses 17.5 l/100 km in the city and 12 l/100 km on the freeway. We have owned the car since 2003 so its not a new car. I am with you on the big engines because the other 2 Jeeps were 4.0 l 6 cylinders and used the same amount of fuel as the V8 but massive difference in power.
My other car is A6 Quattro. Not a off roader but I love driving it hard in the rain. :)

Chrysler rocks thats why! definitely no substitute for cubes. my bronco is my first fourby, I came to the realisation that i'm meant to be a grown up now and not EVERYTHING is good offroad :D
on a different note? anyone want to buy a fully sik VT?
Lady owner, only driven on sundays....
1378338473_602478_10150918825436725_1625104480_n.jpg

Hi guys, HeadsUp the 2 tanks were 90L and 50L - total for both were 140L. Since I've sold it, I'm pining like crazy so I guess another 4WD will be on the cards sometime in the future, possibly after I manage to pull that 2Kg monster and his mates from the ground ;) (it's healthy to dream)

MissC, was this the SES's new flood recovery vehicle? I'd buy it but I couldn't be sure if the stereo would work lol

Beagle, nothing beats a good 6 or 8, especially if you're towing over a ton in a trailer or boat. I think we need to design an engine which runs off Black Sand :)

LOL. Little old lady was only driving it to church on Sunday. :D
Hemi rocks.

misscadillac1964 said:
Beagleboy said:
misscadillac1964 said:

Chrysler rocks thats why! definitely no substitute for cubes. my bronco is my first fourby, I came to the realisation that i'm meant to be a grown up now and not EVERYTHING is good offroad :D
on a different note? anyone want to buy a fully sik VT?
Lady owner, only driven on sundays....
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...473_602478_10150918825436725_1625104480_n.jpg

hehe, i scored myself orig factory mopar hillborne injection set up for nos to suit 426 the other week! lots of gold to find before i can get the hemi to go with it haha

Our rig is a 5.4 Trailstar Aquila tugged along with a GU Nissan with a Chevy V8 6.5 Turbo diesel growling under the bonnet, use 18L/100 out on the highway, 15L/100 around town.
Solar panels on both the ute.
Two engels on the back of the ute one running freezer the other fridge/freezer.
The van is all 12V lighting the only other need for 12V is when we run the bread maker on a 2500W pure sine wave inverter.

Nice set up Nightjar, that 6.5 chev makes me a little green. With envy that is. Cheers Bulldog. ;)

Hi Slowflow, what was your fuel consumption on the PJ? City and Country roads?

Cheers Gav

My 4.0L Prado used about 14L per 100k's on the last fill up. Was a mixed bag of driving though, some city, some slow fire trails and 500 highway k's.

On the highway only I'm sure it could do a bit better. Not bad though for such a heavy beast.

It is a 2004 fuel around town usually less than 9 litres per hundred. Usually max at 2500 rpm just past max torque.
My camper is very light, last trip Sydney Oallan, went to almost 11. No camper to Hill End just over 9, loaded with sluice etc. Cruise control whenever possible.
I'm told to expect 11 to 13 once I move to a larger camper.
Have a look at the van forums. 2006 went to more KW & torque and better noise insulation if you are looking.
Be aware ALL the 4x4 have their weak points, our family has Hilux, pathfinder, 105 cruiser and Pajero so it is a good cross section. They all need rescuing at some point too!

Latest posts