how i prospect for gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No kidding the guy I was with went up to it and kicked it! This one is along the two mile walk which is halfway up the hill to hanging rock. Saw a .8 gram nugget this morning from the gully near by. Take track along and keep an eye out for a switch back that has an old sign.
I may not be able to make the nundle meet up for I'm moving camp to Barrington tops to find a bucket full of rubies!

Thanks for the info HTY, good reminder how dangerous it can be to enter a mine without the proper precautions!

Just a tip for when testing shafts for gases, before lowering the sacrifical rat down, throw a rock in.
As this will disturb any water of low lying gases, mainly Hydrogen Sulphide which settles on the ground and floats up when disturbed. This is why a lot of Telstra pit workers, will attach the gas detector to their boots.

As different gases sit at different levels depending on their "weight" Methane hangs near the top which is why sometimes people who stick their head inside a hole or tunnel get a lung full and passout of cark it just from looking down the hole.

Just some friendly advice.

confined spaces are very dangerous bad air can move up and down tunnels so you need gas detector going in it will save your life I used them once the guys in the pit where passing out from bad air found out boss gave us dud gas detector got good one from friend found out low oxygen levels in pit if oxygen levels drop below 10 % not sure on number don't quote me on that you just lie down and die cant do any thing about it is scary stuff not for novice

dezman said:
Great fun going in old workings and bad air is a real danger, iv used a candle to check carbon dioxide levels and seen the flame go very small! Care must be taken with pushing air in for sometimes the bad gas stays there! Hiding in pockets waiting for ya. I'll try posting some nundle mine shots.

i do allso do the old candle trick aswell but sometimes i don't cos there could be explosive gasses in there ka boom :)

As backup when going in, you should carry a "self rescuer" like is required for underground miners. It packs into a.small.belt pouch and is a hood for your head with a basic rebreather system to give yout enough.ttime to get out if your gas detsection systems go off

Does anybody know of any sites like this around Brissy?
I know a couple out the back of Ferny Grove but they are mostly full of water

Hunting the yellow said:
i do allso do the old candle trick aswell but sometimes i don't cos there could be explosive gasses in there ka boom :)

So what dictates which method to use? Sometimes you use a candle & sometimes you don't.
Just wondering what precautions/tests you use to make sure it's safe to use the candle method?

Ag Man said:
Hunting the yellow said:

So what dictates which method to use? Sometimes you use a candle & sometimes you don't.
Just wondering what precautions/tests you use to make sure it's safe to use the candle method?

I would go in first if it smells like fart gas it could be flammable

If you are worried about the blower not getting in far enough, you can always add 30m of lay flat hose to it.
Would work well for shafts
And you would also smell the gases come up from the air being moved around.

XIV said:
If you are worried about the blower not getting in far enough, you can always add 30m of lay flat hose to it.
Would work well for shafts
And you would also smell the gases come up from the air being moved around.
You won't smell the black damp or CO2 cause they're odourless. You really need to get a CO2 monitor & have a self rescuer + egress plan. Don't just think black damp is a coal mine problem. It can occur in a lot of underground environments like wells, sewers, tunnels as well as mines. CO2 is also 3 x heavier than air so unless the rat/canary is right down on the floor you will miss it too. Good luck with it & stay safe.

hum well in the tunnels I put the rat on the floor but not so much with the shafts if its a shaft I put it on the end of a 20m rope if its dead in a hour or so I DO NOT EVEN GO DOWN FOR A LOOK if its alive its safe in my eyes I've have been doing this for 6 years now an in that 6 years I've had lots experience with the dangers like gas rock old wood rotting wood and water filled tunnels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts