how i prospect for gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
hi all as you may know already im a mad man who loves going down the old mines in vic by rope.

I start by finding a area on Google maps like say ballarat where's there's old mines near the area and then I look for all the mining reports like what they got what they wore digging in alluvial ect then the fun part I drive out to the places and find them if they are on private property I ask if I can go on then on the mine site I check for chemicals such as old cyanide pits and mercury pits around the mine then if its reasonably safe I suss out the mine its self and put a mouse or rat in a cage tired to a small 20m rope and let the rat or mouse dangle on the end of a 20m rope down the shaft I wait about 30mins to 1 hour then I take it back out of the hole if its dead I do not go down it if there alive I simply let them go back in the paddock that I catch them in if its a tunnel I my self get a gas mask on and go 10 to 40ms down the tunnel and place a rat in a plastic open to the air box same thing as the shafts if they die I don't enter even if there's 1000s worth of gold still left in it so far ive only come across 5 that have gas or bad air 3 shafts and two tunnels the next step I do when its all clear and safe is go in with a long steel pole and wack the floor of the tunnel I go in to every 1 foot so I know its solid ground im walking on not wood boards for shafts I make shore there's no hanging rocks on the sides if there is I take them out with a hammer if there not too big and continue down the shaft by rope as the same for tunnels too. the second last step is I go exploring the whole shaft/tunnel for quartz reef still left in the walls I have this big steel stake its about half a meter long i use this to chip out large amounts of quartz out of the floor or walls with of Couse a mallet hammer whacking it then i put my samples in a bag and carry them out of the tunnel/shaft i go in/down I always take about 15 to 20kgs out to test it even if i don't think its worth lugging home i take it anyway just incase it has then i pre crush my rocks by dolly pot by hand then i crush them even finer to almost dust by my disk rock crusher then i pan it all in an old bath tub and after panning i record what i get for how many kgs of quartz i took out and i label my crushed up rock to i don't get mixed up where i found what and that's that that's how i look for my gold i sometimes pan in creeks aswell but i find going into the old mines is more exciting and some times more rewarding for the time and effort

Wow, they're some really great photos. I'd never have the guts to do anything like that.

What's been your best haul from the 15-20kg tests?

G'day HtY
great photos and a really good insight to how you do things, i enjoyed the read
i have done the same type of thing out east gippsland
not so much taking quarts more so just exploring the old mines

i find a blower/vac works really well if left on for an hour to blast some clean air down the mine
and if it doesn't work, will i'm just lucky to find mines with good air

if you need an exploration partner then i'm your man 8)

Now I can see why your mad about going down there :)

Looks amazing and spooky at the same time

XIV said:
G'day HtY

i find a blower/vac works really well if left on for an hour to blast some clean air down the mine

humm deal will go mineng never thorght of that idea but wouldent you have to have to have a genie to run it ?

Hunting the yellow said:
XIV said:
G'day HtY

humm deal will go mineng never thorght of that idea but wouldent you have to have to have a genie to run it ?

Nah all you need is a petrol leaf blower. Set it up at the entrance get all your other gear out and by the time your set its moved the air around enough.

XIV said:
Hunting the yellow said:
XIV said:
G'day HtY

Nah all you need is a petrol leaf blower. Set it up at the entrance get all your other gear out and by the time your set its moved the air around enough.

humm miht be eazyer that way then my way lol :)

Yikes! Got a little closturephobic just reading that and then the pictures, whilst awesome, i must be a bit of a coward cause you wouldn't catch me down there for all the gold in the world! Oh well more for you eh! :D

great story looks like a lot of fun do you find any old mining gear in the shafts good money in that as well as gold :)

awesome! just awesome your nuts man but i love it, ive found heaps of mines i'd like to look into but dont have the right equipement i.e. balls and harness :)

Great fun going in old workings and bad air is a real danger, iv used a candle to check carbon dioxide levels and seen the flame go very small! Care must be taken with pushing air in for sometimes the bad gas stays there! Hiding in pockets waiting for ya. I'll try posting some nundle mine shots.

1381990211_image.jpg

This one is at nugget gully, follow vernan rd to gully.then take the track on east side of creek and follow until it crosses the creek. About a 100 meters on stop and explore up the hill, you can't see much from track. There is a great old boiler there too, I'll try an inside shot of mine.

mate that had my heart pumping when you were talking of those spaces!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts