Holy snapping turtle shells Batman!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went out for a bush walk and detect with the whole family (+1) today. The aim was to find an old gold mind on the south coast NSW. After about a 5 km bush walk that felt to be more uphill than down, two creek crossings, we reached the location (according to the GPS). We found a few of diggings in the general area but no actual mine.

One of the mounds I diggings looked like a sink hole about 3'deep and 20 ' wide, so thought I would detect the area. In the middle I got a scratchy signal but a strong signal, so thought what the heck and started to clear off some of the top soil and found this :eek:

1375599018_002.jpg

1375599049_003.jpg

They all have a black plastic tips so I assume they are blanks and possibly dropped during a military exercise at some point in time. All up we counted about 40 rounds and there where still signals coming out of the depression. We decided not to uncover anything more in case the next find might be somewhat a little more explosive.

Not knowing what to really do with them we decided to re-bury them in the same hole and place some timber over the top of them.

What do you do with these sort of finds???

I think it be worthwhile contacting the local wallopers or the Army to arrange for their safe removal that would. ensure some other detectorist is not blown to bits .Blanks or not they will still contain powder & could be lethal

Maybe you should consider buying your self a lottery ticket!

Pete

Just goes to show, we just never know what may be in the next hole we dig! Still,that's another find you wont forget in a hurry!

Found this n thought all you shell aficionados just had to see it ,..... I know it's an old post and we should leave em in archive, but hey !
Enjoy :p 8)

Don't stress, rifle ammo won't hurt you.
For starters they look like the black plastic dummy rounds (M60)
For rifle ammo to be dangerous it needs to be contained in the rifle chamber where it is fired, the pressure builds up and the projectile is forced out the barrell, continually speeding up all the way to the muzzle. Smokeless powder is very safe and just burns like a fuse, it won't go Kabam!

Occasional_panner said:
Don't stress, rifle ammo won't hurt you.
For starters they look like the black plastic dummy rounds (M60)
For rifle ammo to be dangerous it needs to be contained in the rifle chamber where it is fired, the pressure builds up and the projectile is forced out the barrell, continually speeding up all the way to the muzzle. Smokeless powder is very safe and just burns like a fuse, it won't go Kabam!
What he said.

Latest posts