Holey dollar

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GypsyGoldAu said:
Anyone looking to values of finds might also like to have a look here;

http://www.bluesheet.com.au/

It even states under the heading "Expert Valuations"....

[ For just $9.95 we provide you with estimated valuations, gradings, mention any problems evident and check the coins' authenticity (if photos or scans are provided).

Find out about rarities in your collection worth thousands!
Protect yourself from dealers by getting an objective opinion on your collection before selling
Get in depth, impartial market information on coins before purchasing for investments
Use up to 100% of the appraisal fee as commission credit if you on sell the coins through Numis Bid]

Gypsy

I'd be very sceptical of anyone who says they can do all that plus check a coins authenticity from just a scan or photo

Maybe it is the real thing made out of a mule coin. ???
An extremely high resolution scan can be a starting point as there would be certain die marks that would prove authenticity.
I would tread very, Very carefully with that one.
I do have a late model dump I found in an estate down here,
Value around $700.00.
It is not stored here at home. :) :) :)

madtuna said:
I'd be very sceptical of anyone who says they can do all that plus check a coins authenticity from just a scan or photo

Fair enough too madtuna, my point with that link was only to highlight that you are safer going to true 'valuers' of the item, as opposed to having a re-sale value purchase price attributed to it by a 'dealer' ;)

re; "Protect yourself from dealers by getting an objective opinion on your collection before selling"

As noted earlier, using 'retailers' to have an 'Insurance Valuation' is another thing altogether and completely acceptable if you intend to retain the item. If your looking to sell, the 'dealer' will low-ball the value in the instance you 'may' sell to them, wherein they will beat you down in price as well, stating they will need to make a 'profit'...

GGA

Just to clarify GypsygoldAu,the coin is not mine or my mates,just a Facebook post we came across.All the advice about getting a valuation on coins is great,thanks for posting.

Fakes, sleazes, the world is full of them now. Was shown some coins a few years ago that fooled me but the guy who showed me told me so afterwards to wise me up. The Chinese are counterfeiting everything these days including coins, its crazy. My mate then showed me the diff. The true coin weighed X the fake Y. Visually they were virtually identical. Then we have scum coin dealers. Mate found a rare Shilling I think it was and went to sell it knowing its value, $400 at the time, coin buyer said it was rubbish and worthless and offered him $5.

Jon... as per your mates $400 coin...how did he know? Grading can make all the difference (i know as a collector myself) and two similar looking coins can be miles apart in value and quality...

Just sayin (didn't have much to work with here ;) ) and not to say i doubt you, but it has happened to me similar. (hence my post earlier...). Even just the slightest variance in Lustre between two Unc coins can see widely varied valuations even though neither have been circulated (from the way their stored usually).

Cheers
Gypsy

No that's fair enough comment to make. My mates had been detecting gold and relics from the 70,s, the start of detecting. Found rare Sovs, multi ounce nuggs on a regular basis. One bought a new car from a Sov and I can tell you these guys found nuggets hand over fist. I got into it around 1990 ish and I was privileged to be accepted amongst their group of mates. But no I didn't find anything like they did, I wish but no. But damn did those blokes know how to party. We,d find some gold, grab a slab and a bottle or two of Bundy, a good Port, catch a big feed of yabbies, fire up the barby, this was in the bush up Tarna way, and party all night. Sadly those guys are now gone but damn they left me with some great memories :) Sorry to ramble but yeah, the coin was a dead set goody. The sov my mate got a new car with , in the 80,s, he was initially offered $300 by a coin buyer. He then at the time got $10,000. :lol:? But, he later found out that it sold at auction for $25,000. He didn't care a bit though, he had a new ride.! Great guys and great memories.

Understood Jon.

That's the beauty of this hobby....i believe the 'real gold' are the folks you get introduced to and befriend & the times shared in the bush.

I understand business, but i have to say, these days folks are more switched on and it's sad to read of aggressive 'dealers' shafting good folks of their hard earned.

Always pays to get 2, 3, or even 4 different opinions in situations like this. I don't begrudge an operator needing to make $$$, but the lack of moral fortitude in business beggars belief at times.

Those types of business usually NEVER get mine... ;)

GGA

Latest posts