Hill End detecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Braggy

Mainly the common that I know of
Sunny Corner is possibly the nearest state forest

Quite a few guys know the area very well and I am sure they will post when they are online

Hi Braggy
The Common is really the only area which you can detect on without needing to get permission off the local land owners.
The is plenty of gold still to be found there and not just sub gramers.

You will have to work for it but with persisstence it will pay off.

Dont worry too much about the bottom end of The Common, that it , the area south of the Village Camp Ground as you are starting to get onto the mining lease and it is very rugged country.

The area across from Glendora Camp Ground is producing gold at the moment. As I have said in many other posts and shown a lot of people. Look for the areas where the Sefton Bush has died away exposing areas that have not been detected in many many years. You will have to put up with finding a bit of rubbish but the gold is coming from these areas. My last 3 nuggets, 2g,10g and 1g came from such an area.

You can also get down along the Turon for a detect as well if you have a suitable vehicle to get there.

Also dont forget Wattle Flat and Hargraves Commons.

Bob

I bought a copy of Doug Stones Gold Atlas of NSW , the initial look thru looked good , showed areas that are green and blue coded for crown lands and state forests, but I do not believe the mapping is accurate , Oallen Ford is one area I explored, Hillend and surrounds is another. Before I got gold fever , 35 years ago I hunted some of the ares so I was interested in the mapping , now from my experience with the land and the mapping , there appears to be some discrepancies, I remember the quartz rocks on the hilly slopes, the little goat tracks purposely built to transport the ore to the crusher, the remains of dwarf stone walls once covered by canvas tents, alas, the land is as i believe to be private property . But , the land at nearby Ophir is documented as Hillend but you do need a good 4wd to use the Roothog Fire Trail to get from one area to another, another area I have looked at is Trunkey Creek, crown land on the maps private property as described by the locals, the land down Mogo way, show heaps of state forests where gold was hunted, perhaps if you can get a hold of the atlas and have a real good look it before you buy it, I suppose if one can get hold of the crown lands maps the we can check the co ordinates but every time I look at items like minview, it changes .
Braggy , the Hillend region is like the golden triangle, with HE, Ophir and Wattle Flat as the points on the triangle, so be prepared to spend some time exploring, then perhaps to the north towards Mudgee more ares to explore. I am scratching my head at the moment , looking at Ophir then across to HE, but I am lucky , I have a base camp in the middle .

iamagoldenoldie2 said:
I bought a copy of Doug Stones Gold Atlas of NSW , the initial look thru looked good , showed areas that are green and blue coded for crown lands and state forests, but I do not believe the mapping is accurate , Oallen Ford is one area I explored, Hillend and surrounds is another. Before I got gold fever , 35 years ago I hunted some of the ares so I was interested in the mapping , now from my experience with the land and the mapping , there appears to be some discrepancies, I remember the quartz rocks on the hilly slopes, the little goat tracks purposely built to transport the ore to the crusher, the remains of dwarf stone walls once covered by canvas tents, alas, the land is as i believe to be private property . But , the land at nearby Ophir is documented as Hillend but you do need a good 4wd to use the Roothog Fire Trail to get from one area to another, another area I have looked at is Trunkey Creek, crown land on the maps private property as described by the locals, the land down Mogo way, show heaps of state forests where gold was hunted, perhaps if you can get a hold of the atlas and have a real good look it before you buy it, I suppose if one can get hold of the crown lands maps the we can check the co ordinates but every time I look at items like minview, it changes .
Braggy , the Hillend region is like the golden triangle, with HE, Ophir and Wattle Flat as the points on the triangle, so be prepared to spend some time exploring, then perhaps to the north towards Mudgee more ares to explore. I am scratching my head at the moment , looking at Ophir then across to HE, but I am lucky , I have a base camp in the middle .

Doug Stones book got us started in WA but his maps are designed to get you lost. Most have no GPS coordinates, the distances are not to scale and they are either back to front or up side down.

Latest posts