Highbanking alone?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice collection you have there G0lddigg@, I reckon I might end up like that myself one day, I just want more stuff & want to make stuff.

As for going out alone, I do that most of the time while panning, will be doing the same when I have the banker up & running, it can't be to hard, just need a bilge pump & hoses now so not much longer to wait & will need to make a set up to cart it all from car to creek.
I'm not in no rush to process as much as possible so will be out there just enjoying myself & the outdoors, & if working with others then they needn't be in a rush either, 1 gram or 1 ounce, I don't care, the gold is just a bonus.
I'll still be keeping my eyes open for safety reasons though.

ozziii said:
will need to make a set up to cart it all from car to creek.
thats always a fun bit working that out, i used ot use a golf bag cart that was pretty mobile, then a trolley $35 modified with a crate at the base from supercheap auto. In the end i bought myself a a big wheelbarrow nothing beats it, can cart rocks to water, everything fits inside. only problem is flipping it up on the roof after your buggered. my big banker you cen see th hopper in the lower left and wheels leaning up on the wall, is loaded up pump and all and you pick the front up and walk away works quite well.

TTKooAu said:
thowing a lifeline out to G0lddigg@.......

you got that goldbug bad.......

walk away from Bunnings....walk away while you can

note to self....sell CBA shares and buy Wesfarmers shares ;)

hahaha just walk away real slow.... put down the wheel barrow :) ...
nothing there from bunnings mate accept a few bolts maybe. i spend more time at midland irrigation than anywhere else :) geeze they've got some money out of me... i call it prototyping mate :)

G0lddigg@ said:
ozziii said:
will need to make a set up to cart it all from car to creek.
thats always a fun bit working that out, i used ot use a golf bag cart that was pretty mobile, then a trolley $35 modified with a crate at the base from supercheap auto. In the end i bought myself a a big wheelbarrow nothing beats it, can cart rocks to water, everything fits inside. only problem is flipping it up on the roof after your buggered. my big banker you cen see th hopper in the lower left and wheels leaning up on the wall, is loaded up pump and all and you pick the front up and walk away works quite well.

I was just looking at the box trolley type things at Supercheap yesterday, $25 at the moment, think Masters had a similar one for $20. A Milk crate on the bottom would be alright, could fit battery, pump & hose easily with H/B resting on top, would make carting stuff so much easier when alone. Not to bad making a couple trips to the car if its close but not if your parked a few hundred metres away or more.

absolutely mate the old crate base is the simplest most effective option i reckon. First one i made i extended the base plate by 15cm with a piece of ally with some self tappers. worked a treat until i nicked myself one too many times and ended up welding an extension. bang for buck, milk crate and $20 winning! plus milk crates make a good seat :)

i got a really bad hip last year and i was siutting on crates quite a bit, me and the missus came up with an idea with some leftover ply a bolt and some old fabric and stuffing we ahd lying about. the fabric is outdoor stuff can be hosed off no worries :) can be secured to the crate with a washer on the bolt. i dont bother. kind of taking it that one step further but its great for camping

1455066514_20160210_120459.jpg

1455066514_20160210_120509.jpg

G0lddigg@ said:
DirtyBob said:
"Hi. My name is Golddigg. It's been 3 days since my last highbanker purchase..."

You've got some serious options there. I guess half the fun is deciding what to take with you.

haha i make all my own gear mate and i test alot of gear on the market. everything on the left is basically one modular unit with varied run and mats to suit, maybe i get a little out of hand but golds paid for all of it so missus cant complain :) first banker was make of wood
Just looks like work and a sore back to me......getting soft.

G0lddigg@ said:
i got a really bad hip last year and i was siutting on crates quite a bit, me and the missus came up with an idea with some leftover ply a bolt and some old fabric and stuffing we ahd lying about. the fabric is outdoor stuff can be hosed off no worries :) can be secured to the crate with a washer on the bolt. i dont bother. kind of taking it that one step further but its great for camping

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/357/1455066514_20160210_120459.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/357/1455066514_20160210_120509.jpg

Not a bad idea, be good to have something a little comfy to sit & relax on, specially if working alone & doing all the work.
I have to get off my feet a bit here & there so a seat is something I need to get & that would work well.

Just a question about highbanking on your own- when you've run your dirt and it's time to go and get some more, do you shut off your pump? If you do this, do you risk blowing gold out when you restart it? Can't really see the point in letting it run while you're getting dirt again. Is there a proper way to do this, like maybe putting putting a catch pan or a bucket underneath on start up? Or isn't it necessary? Just wondering how everyone does it.

Yeah I'd switch off or ya just wasting fuel. Some people like to put a pan or or something at the end of the run to catch anything that tries to make a break for it. I think ya should be ok if you bring the power up slowly and steady on ya pump when ya start up again, that'd be the danger time. Start up. :)

Cheers Chewy but mine's a bilge/battery setup (3000). Guess I could start it with the valve almost turned off and then slowly open it, shouldn't hurt the pump should it? I think that would be better than starting it fully open, thanks I might try that.

All depends on your setup mate. Most systems require some constant feed to operate effectively. Some do not. The dream mat and gold hog for example.

When running buckets yoir best off taking lots of buckets or building a pile before you fire up. I try to get as close to my material as possible that the benefit of a highbanker but i realize thats not always possible.

When running my little banker with bilge pump i run 4 buckets then cleanout into a tub. Then run again and into the tub. Depending on how much material ive got ill either pan out of run my tub back through the banker.

I do alot of sluicing and panning by myself... sometimes my 4yo daughter likes to come. Its not by choice doing it alone, just that i dont really know too many people and im out in the bush a bit of a ways out from civilisation... cant get my "old mate" interested in digging holes although hes recently found an interest in my detector(old GB1)" here ya go mate you work out how it all works LOL"... anyway... doing it by myself is a very good way to work out exactly what i REALLY need to take with me, the essential equiptment for the day and also be able to relatively easily carry it all to where ever im heading.. sometimes its through the scrub to locations and having a crack. It took a while to get the "essential" kit worked out the only thing i have to go back and carry seperatly is the battery for the pump. Its a handy thing to work out as when going out with a mate or whatever i can quickly know what else i would need and carting around other stuff taking up space and extra weight. I prefer going with someone else as its more fun and also other ideas from someone else while out there that i wouldve missed.. every now and then it is a pit spooky hearing a crack of wood but its usually a kangaroo!

My wife won't let me prospect alone, nothing to do with security \ dodgy people, simply shes knows all to well the places I go and the crazy things I try. If I was to bust an ankle crossing rough terrain or be standing waist deep in water and have a rock roll over and pin my leg or something I'd be stuffed.

Also the places where I tend to end up highbanking is difficult to run on my own as I usually end up digging out of deep-ish water on uneven terrain, places where I can't always shovel straight into a highbanker, me and a mate just split it down then middle seems like the easiest way.

I do at times go it alone but prefer to have a buddy for all the reasons previously mentioned. What I have done to help when alone I modified my Wallbanker with a gate at the hopper and added an extra spray pipe that I can regulate. The gate is hinged at the back which allows for it to be flipped over completely out of the way, works well.
1464301130_image.jpeg

1464301130_image.jpeg

1464301507_image.jpeg

Hope this helps. Heading off to Sofala this afternoon for the weekend, Turon Saturday Hill End Sunday, can't wait!

Latest posts