Highbanker - to build or to buy?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hay all how many of you have a highbanker did you just get it from a shop or make it iv got 2 and both are home made ill post a pic later when i get on the laptop if you got one post up a pic im always looking for new things to try

Used a high banker for the first time in the weekend. Fantastic contraption.. Couldn't be happy with it. Well eventually get a larger unit..

Newbie I'm confused :/ Is it you "Couldn't be happy with it" or you "Couldn't be happier with it"?
I'm old and sometimes wake up in strange houses :)

When I first got into the gold side of things a few years back I couldn't afford to buy a sluice or Highbanker. So I made my own power sluice. Got everything I needed from Bunnings, cost me about $50. Although it was a crude set up it taught me about the flow rates & angles. Now I have my own business & use 3 or 4 different Highbankers & sluices, that same series of lessons has stuck with me.
We all start somewhere & I'm sure you guys will agree that it's not as simple as plonking the sluice in the river or just setting up your Highbanker & pouring dirt in. If you get it wrong you're wasting your time.
My advice to anyone buying one is talk to the guys that use them. I take people out & show them how they work, the set up, angles, feed rates, flow rates & how to classify.
Building one yourself is fun. Nothing better then getting results with something you made.

Ive never chased the gold but hope to one day.I have a turbo pan in my ute, Don't know why as I live in Sydney, I'll put it to use one day

Pete_The_Prospector said:
Newbie I'm confused :/ Is it you "Couldn't be happy with it" or you "Couldn't be happier with it"?
I'm old and sometimes wake up in strange houses :)

Sorry my ENgrish is not the best sometimes. Couldn't be happier it processes the dirt well. Its amazing how the new technology works, we find a lot of stuff the old equipment didn't capture. In future genratations they'll be using their new fangled gizmos to get the stuff we missed. I must admit as AD said you have to do the reasearch as to where to go knowledge is the key. Having the equipment is only a small part of the battle.

It's funny when I first got into this prospecting game(listern to me sounding like an old pro) someone told me gold is a funny thing. You can research the right area but then even though you're in the right creek or the right area you can be on the wrong side of a hill or even sometimes the wrong side of the creek bed. I noticed on the weekend how true this is on one side of the creek I got nothing not a flake, on the other side 5-6 specks per pan at varied depths. You can see why most prospectors return to an area they have success in because they know the finer details of an area. Things such as indicators and structures things a newbie to an area will miss or will not know.

Spent some more time yesterday panning my clean out from the mini high banker still more gold on there to be pulled out. Very happy with it. Organised to head out with my brother over the Australia Day weekend to get some more good to have more mussle so we can continually process more material. Next big investment is a bigger high banker that we can just shovel material into with a small petrol/ diesel pump to feed it water.. Most places high out detectors does any one hire hire this kind of equipment out I know it's relative cheap compared to say a GPX5000 but still nice to be able to hire as I really only need one short term.

Highbankers look easy enough to build but has anyone here successfully built one that works correctly? I'm thinking of making one but don't know if it's worth even attempting.

Also does anyone know the costs, build vs buy.

If you got some basic tools & know-how, you can make one up fairly easy.

I've build a wizbang Riversluice & all I'd need to turn it into a highabnker is to make up a top hopper - nothing complicated.

I had a home made Highbanker & it worked great.

There's heaps of plans around or they're easy to get a general idea/copy of a bought one.

Costs - that depends on how good you are at recycling material, know of a cheap scrap yard etc.

My river sluice cost me maybe $25.
Alluminium I scrounged for free, folding at a workshop $20
& $5 for pop-rivits & screws etc.

I prolly be able to knock up my next project(highbanker) for around $50 or less.

The thing you pay for when buying a made Highbanker is labour & shop profit.

There's great satisfaction in finding gold with equipment you've made yourself...

I've not yet drawn plans for it but here's my thoughts on my backpackable HB project...

HB will completely be dependant on the shape & size of my pump as when packed up for transport the pump will fit inside the folded up Highbanker. Might even modify the pump carry handle & frame to be more compact but more stable aswell.

Large enough hopper for my little 2T pump to sit in & to comfortably shovel onto with my big shovel. Hopper will be generous/big - bottom would be around 11" wide then tapering out up the walls.
Overall hopper lenght may be as big as 650mm.
The hopper will have the water blasting back to the top like a boilerbox (I thinks they call that) from 2 adjustable angle outlets.

The drop grate/classifyer will be made like the Minders den HB(200mm bars fixed at the top but not at the bottom to allow for easy unclogging of rocks.

The little motors need to run a bit harder to get pressure up for spraybars - I'm not a fan of the noise(of a screaming pump) So going for a boilerbox with a gate at the end of the hopper to let clay boil up as long as it needs.

The sluice part how ever will need to be designed narrow enough so it will work with the minimal flow the pump will be making. I'm estimating max 8" wide. Length(built in 2 sections) may be 2 x the length of the hopper.
Catch tray is a definite. the rest I'm still thinking about.

Front legs will be far enough back to allow for easy cleaning of the tailing area.

That's my thoughts so far anyhow...

Hi Nugget .....have been building hi bankers since selling my dredges when they became illegal. They are simple to build and if made correctly will leave a bought one for dead. Most bought ones still rely on the old lazy "L" riffle arrangement with a carpet base. There is far superior trapping methods available especially when it comes to the finer gold. If you check our You Tube vid " Gold - hi banking at Tuena Creek -The Log Jam".....It shows one of our hi bankers in detail....this loses absolutely zero in gold.
Cost wise... you can build one for less than 1/4 the price of a bought one. I don't recommend using a bilge pump and deep cycle battery. You're far better off with a small 4 stroke petrol motor as this will let you work for an unlimited time....especially if your spending a weekend. I'm more than happy to draw up a plan of the one i use if you want it for any comparisons. The same configuration can be used to make a smaller version......Cheers Wal.

Great information guys, I thank you both very much. After reading that I think I'm going to give it a go. Wal I'd really appreciate the plan mate but only if you have time to do so :)

What ever the plan dimensions are, scale them up or down to suit the pump you have or intend to have.

If you only want to drag around a 6kg 2T pump, then don't make your sluice part 16" wide... The pump just wouldn't deliver enough water.

Also you can adjust the size according to the materials you have scrounged up.

There is no one rule on what sizes you need to use - at the end of the day , you're just using a hopper with water blasting in it to break up any clay & wash your rocks, then everything slides over a classifier to do it's job. Anything small falls thru & goes down your sluice section. There you put in what ever you prefer.

Mother nature wasn't fussy when rivers were created & they got all sorts of obstructions, rocks, logs, crevices etc. that all catch gold & trap it there - bit the same with a sluice.
Be it riffles, ribbed matting, carpet, Honeycomb rubber door matting, security door grid, expanded metal or the whole thing intirely made of wood, plastic or metal.

The thing is though again dependant on the water you can put thru it. A smaller pump will need a smaller sluice with smaller riffles etc. You want enough water to allow your riffles to clear the lights you put thru

There's no hope of my 1" pump running my river sluice I built.
I tried, but even at a steep angle, water just gently flows over the riffles that are clogged up & gravels build up in front of them too. No good.

You'll want to have your pump running in normal conditions at no more than half throttle so you allways have a little more in reserve should you need more flow or pressure.

4stroke pumps are quieter, uses less fuel but do weigh a bit more.

Also decide on the kinds of areas you want to use the HB in.
Will you need to carry your gear a long way or will you park your car next to the spot?
if you can park next to the river then there's no probs using a big 2" 6HP pump.
Some people make their HB's so the whole lot ban be carted around on a trolley.

Mine will be on a cargo backpack :D

Hi guys....I'll draw up a plan of the banker i use with photos showing all sides. This banker was set up to catch sapphires as well as gold and not the finest spec of flower gold will pass through it..Will post the details and materials later this week....Cheers Wal.

Latest posts