High Banker verses Trommel classifier high banker

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I am wondering if this is legal in Australia , you still have to shovel the dirt in there so the machine is not moving the dirt from the ground.
Also it is a high banker that uses a motor to turn the trummel.
I know Wal of "WalnLiz" will hopefully have some insights on the legality of this machine so if he has his computer along with him while he's out and about he may answer.
I also wonder what this would do for sapphire collection as well.
Now I just have to figure out how to attach a photo.

Cheers,
Eugene

1375775750_aussie_propecting.jpg

Here is the other picture which shows the banker side .

1375775971_2_aussie_propecting_.jpg

Pretty good looking high banker .

Answers please

You can process material pretty much any way you want, you just cant get material out of the creeks using mechanical means, great looking unit.

Hello Eugene

Yes they are legal in Victoria, no not legal in south Australia (battery operated only).
might pay to check for you state as the rules differ from state to state.

regards trashmagnet

Very nice looking unit, are these readily available in Australia or do they have to be imported?

Nugget.

They are 100% ok to use in Vic. I have built Trommels and bought many back from the graveyard and restored them to there former glory!
I finally got around to building my own. Took it out to triangle for five days, had a ripper of a time.
Ryan

@ Nugget
This model is available on ebay in the USA , cost is $1,750.00 shipping would be around $300 or $400 I imagine.
Its still less than half the cost of the $5,000.00 Mindlab 5000. Heard a lot of good things about the Mindlab 5000 , detects deeper and finds a lot of gold , the testimonials on mindlabs website are all good and fun to read too.
I am sure that you can pick one of these up in Australia may want to talk with Ryan27.

@ Ryan27 may want to let others know if they are good on gemstones such as Sapphires .
I think they are but I am not quite sure.
I would be nice to see the sluice box full of gems , LOL
Can you post a picture of your home made machine ?Would love to see it.

Cheers,
Eugene

here is a home made Australian unit from youtube

[video=480,360]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKxndkT6kmA[/video]

Perry's home made trommel. First day out and working well in Prospect Creek North of Bairnsdale Victoria Australia..Can't wait to see if any GOLD is to be found...

on comments he said this ...
g'day gold hunter 22 I have slowed it down to 35 turne a minute and works real good...last weekend I put through about 4 cubic meters of river sand and rocke for a return of 3grams of very fine gold. hope to do better next time

Hi Eugene
I have made and worked on a few units as mentioned previously. The RPM is too high on this unit. Tests have been conducted by mining companies to find the optimum RPM of a Trommel. They have more funds for R & D. Plus gold loss is a big deal to mining companies. I built some equipment for a mining company that has a mining licence in PNG. The mining engineer gave me some good info of do's and don't when it comes to wash plant.
I have attached a couple of photos.
The green machine is my little toy, I call him Shrek.
The other Trommel is a custom machine I designed and built for a mining lease holder here in vic.

Trommels are great for gems, the method is the Same as a high banker. Trommels have a Higher recovery rate in heavy clay soils due to the scrubbing motion. Gems have a high specific gravity and will stay in the sluice box for recovery.

Ryan
1375835552_sam_1691_edited.jpg
1375835711_sam_0980_edited_2.jpg

Hi Eugene,

Nice looking bit of gear. I would think portability would be a draw back. (You wont see Wal on youtube carrying one down the creek on his back).

Cheers Brad.

If the trommel is mechanically driven on a non mining lease it won't take too long before you get a visit from the powers to be. :/

Hand turned trommels slide under the radar and are commonly used on Topaz and Sapphire fields.

Cheers Wal.

WalnLiz said:
If the trommel is mechanically driven on a non mining lease it won't take too long before you get a visit from the powers to be. :/

Hand turned trommels slide under the radar and are commonly used on Topaz and Sapphire fields.

Cheers Wal.

Well said Wal , what annoys me is the wording of what is Not allowed in NSW ~ nothing mechanical powered can be used ! what a crock that is hey !

This is the actual wording --- Power-operated equipment cannot be used on land or in waters for surface disturbance, excavation or
processing. Power operated equipment includes mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, battery and
electrical equipment or machinery.

Notice to wording power operated mechanical processing ' that buggers anything including muscle powered !

Outback said:
WalnLiz said:

Cheers Wal.

Well said Wal , what annoys me is the wording of what is Not allowed in NSW ~ nothing mechanical powered can be used ! what a crock that is hey !

This is the actual wording --- Power-operated equipment cannot be used on land or in waters for surface disturbance, excavation or
processing. Power operated equipment includes mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, battery and
electrical equipment or machinery.

Notice to wording power operated mechanical processing ' that buggers anything including muscle powered !

When I first read these rules some time ago when first starting I thought pumps for high bankers were included.. But I have been proven wrong. :) :)

Ryan27 said:
Hi Eugene
I have made and worked on a few units as mentioned previously. The RPM is too high on this unit. Tests have been conducted by mining companies to find the optimum RPM of a Trommel. They have more funds for R & D. Plus gold loss is a big deal to mining companies. I built some equipment for a mining company that has a mining licence in PNG. The mining engineer gave me some good info of do's and don't when it comes to wash plant.
I have attached a couple of photos.
The other Trommel is a custom machine I designed and built for a mining lease holder here in vic.

Trommels are great for gems, the method is the Same as a high banker. Trommels have a Higher recovery rate in heavy clay soils due to the scrubbing motion. Gems have a high specific gravity and will stay in the sluice box for recovery.

Ryan

Ryan what did you sell the trommels for in the end?

G day Ryan

I notice on both your trommels you employ a level tube method with no helix inside. My question to you ion the bottom photo what was the design consideration for through put, i.e., tons per hour and how do you achieve continuos feed rate through the tube.

thanks

John

I'm going to get started on a trommel soon, using a stainless steel washing machine tub, and a variable speed motor, run off a car/truck/4x4 battery.

Will definitely post progress photos as we go.

Cheers, Paul.

Sam501 said:
Ryan27 said:
Hi Eugene
I have attached a couple ofphotos.

Ryan

Hi Sam
I sold the big trommel to a guy for his private property he later changed his mind and sold it for $25,000. He profited from the exercise.

Village said:
G day Ryan

I notice on both your trommels you employ a level tube method with no helix inside. My question to you ion the bottom photo what was the design consideration for through put, i.e., tons per hour and how do you achieve continuos feed rate through the tube.

thanks

John
Hi John
Both machines have the ability to adjust barrel slope. It depends on the material you put through the machine as to volume you put through... Eg sands,gravels,alluvial wash,clay soils etc.
Reverse helix are great with black sand concentrates.
If the trommel is level (my personal preference) incoming material will move and displace material in the barrel. This works well if the trommel is properly designed.
It also depends on what is feeding the machine eg:
A 30 ton excavator or One man on a mission.
Often and I mean often, bigger is not always best!

Ryan27 said:
Sam501 said:
Ryan27 said:
Hi Eugene
I have attached a couple ofphotos.

Ryan

Hi Sam
I sold the big trommel to a guy for his private property he later changed his mind and sold it for $25,000. He profited from the exercise.

I did see that on http://www.prospectingsupplies.com.au/products/231-10-thr-scrubbertrommel-sold.aspx
If you built another one what do you sell them for? Even a ball park would be great. Cheers Paul

Latest posts