Hi I'm a newbie from Wodonga

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just joined and thought I'd say hi. I'm new to everything about prospecting and looking forward to getting started.
Early 20's but not afraid of hard work
Any advice would be appreciated :)
Thanks guys

What are you hunting exactly?

I went to Uni in Woolydonga way back and word was to head out Yackandandah way.

G'day Zurek

Welcome to the forum mate. I second what the other members have said.

I lived in Bandiana for a few years and only wish I got the gold fever then and not 17 years later :mad:

I did venture out to Yackandanda a few times and checked out a few old mines near Beechworth. There is plenty of gold left out there...get stuck in mate.

Hi Zurek, Mate, this forum is awesome. I've been detecting for a couple of years now and all I know, which isn't much, but what I have learnt, I've learnt from reading this forum, asking questions of the guys on here, reading and researching and admitting that I know nothing. People will generally help out the newbie if you genuinely seek help. Good luck with the swinging, panning or sluicing or all of the above! TD

Ungybungyboh said:
What are you hunting exactly?

I went to Uni in Woolydonga way back and word was to head out Yackandandah way.

I'm hunting gold I suppose. I went for a quick drive out there and got some maps from a info office. drove around beechworth for a bit to. just sussing things out before I buy equipment.

What equipment should I get to start off? I was thinking a couple of different sized pans and a river sluice. Would that be sufficient to start out with? I have only read and looked at videos so far

Good enough mate. Snuffer and classifier (diy or store bought). Shovel. Check out Highbankers while on the sluice hunt often dearer is cheaper in the end, winter flows quickly disappear in the big dry, if you get serious pumps are definitely going to figure in there somewhere eventually. For a sluice you'd be hard pressed to go past Angus McKirk. Good luck.

Hi Zurek, If your over Albury way I can give you a Snuffer bottle (home made but works well)
there are a few of use around this area
Cheers Trevor

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links but I found a deal on ebay that has a small river sluice, a few pans, a sifting pan, some vials, a snuffer bottle a bucket and a small hand shovel for around $150 posted. is that any good?

Latest posts