Hi from your newest member

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

My name is Petts and I just signed up to this forum only a few minutes ago.

I live in Canberra with my wife and two kids (girl 12 and boy 9) and just lately have been diagnosed with this addiction of gold/gem stone hunting, I have always liked the outdoors going fishing and hunting but needed a way to get some quality time with the missus and daughter (as my boy has no problems with the fishing and hunting part lol) being new to this I thought it would benefit us by joining this forum and learning from all you guys out there.

Look forward to having a chat and learning.

Cheers,
Petts

Thanks C&L,

Was not expecting that so quick lol, but it does show me what a great forum this is.

Yes I do hope to see you at the creeks soon, as long as this weather passes I'll be trying out my luck. Any tips on what to look for when it comes to panning in the creeks around here?
As I got no idea what to look for to know if it is a gold bearing creek (I just pan lol)

Cheers,
Petts

Good luck to youse, Petts. It seems to me that Canberra is a bit of a hotspot for this hobby. No doubt you'll be over at Oallen Ford on the Shoalhaven. I'll have to have a look at that myself soon.

all the best

No dramas mate,

Research research research ;) there's a ton of info on here hoepfully the links below will get you off to a start. I'd start with the metallogenic maps and as a beginner I hit known gold areas. We have quiet a few good spots within an hour and a half of Canberra for gold and gems ;)

http://www.resources.nsw.gov.au/geological/mineral-maps-data/1-250-000

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=11&p=1

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=542&p=1

Cheers

C&L

Thanks Levytag,

Yeah looking forward to head to Oallen Ford, I have done a little bit on the Shoalhaven and found some flour gold. I think I was more excited than the kids lol.

Hope to bump it to there one day.

Cheers
Petts

Welcome Petts, bloody cold over there at the moment. Good time to sit inside by the heater and research.

DD

Thanks DD,

To right about the weather but like you said perfect time to do research, been looking at the maps that C&L shared, just trying to figure it all out. Definitely want to head out tomorrow weather permitting.

Cheers
Petts

Thanks Duck,

It sure is addictive, if not out in the field I'm watching all the shows on Fox or searching the internet lol.do you know of a good beginners detector that doesn't hurt the back pocket but will find gold? Don't want to spend big dollars as only have just started out.

Cheers
Petts

Welcome Petts
Im so sorry to hear adout your addiction......to gold.
It goes a bit like this......it never goes away. :lol:
Mate just research these pages here and ask any question you have about this great addiction [I mean hobby] of ours.
No doupt when the frost dies out a bit, you and the family can meet up somewhere in the field with a few members also.
Take this opportunity and research your area and most of all have fun.
Cheers
Chris

Welcome Petts,

Pretty much any metal detector can find gold. The problem is that where most of the gold is found within Australia the ground can be very mineralised (i.e. the presence of iron oxides), this usually plays havoc with the less advanced / non-gold specific detectors.

With so many detectors on the market it's hard to suggest one without first knowing your budget and where you plan on using it. If you are able to provide that information we should be able to recommend something a little more suitable.

Nugget.

Hi petts. Don't bother looking for a cure for this new addiction. There isn't one. I'm new to the game myself. Everyone here is friendly and you're bound to run into someone at the ford who is on here. I may run into myself one day. All the info you will need to start off is on here and trust me when I say don't be afraid to ask any question. There will be someone here that can help. If your looking for some inspiration I recommend looking at walnliz's and shivins YouTube vids. They helped me :)

Cheers greg

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome,

Nugget my budget for a detector is around the $1000 to $1500 mark, any of your recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Petts

Petts said:
Nugget my budget for a detector is around the $1000 to $1500 mark, any of your recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Petts

Here's a re-post of what I wrote for another member. Just keep in mind that if you are happy purchasing at the upper end of your budget, there will be other machines to consider as well, like the Minelab Eureka Gold for example. I'd give the forum search function a go and see what comes up.

With a $1000 budget in mind, I'd be looking at the Garrett AT Gold, Whites GMT Goldmaster or the Fisher Gold Bug range of detectors. Most of these can be purchased for under $1000 new, so you shouldn't have too much trouble picking one up second hand for somewhere between $300-$800. If you find that you have a little extra to spare, also take a look at the Garrett Infinium LS.

See this post for my quick review on the AT Gold https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=13862#p13862

Nugget.

With $1000-1500 budget you have a few options:

For specific gold detecting I would look at a second hand Minelab SD2100 or SD2200 (PI detectors) or if you want new a Whites GMT (VLF detector)

As per some posts on this forum you could do a lot worse than a Garrett AT Gold (VLF detector) which will find gold & would also give you some versatility for coin & relic hunting etc. if you wanted to try that as well.

Welcome to the forums Petts.

Gold addiction is not that bad of a habit to have, well.. depending on how you look at it ;)
These wonderful people on here will definitely steer you in the right direction!

Looking forward to seeing and hearing about your prospecting adventures.
Good luck and all the best.
Shauno.

Shauno,

Your not wrong I think I have learnt more in the few hours spent on this forum than I have by trying to research on my own for the last year (this forum must be my second addiction as my missus just walked in and rolled her eyes lol)

I also am looking forward to telling you guys about my finds hopefully.

Cheers
Petts

Latest posts