Hi from The Palmer River

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys'n'gals,
Gold Miner here!!
We are a small scale miner in the Palmer River area.
We have a couple of leases up there.
Currently in Cairns waiting for the river to go down! :(

Welcome Gold Miner, I look forward to seeing you around the forum and hearing some great stories.

Gday and welcome miner ! Great and very friendly forum to join and that little bit different to most. Look forward to hearing of your successes . I would love to have a lease of my own ! :cool:

Great spot , the palmer river, got a book, River of Gold, that gives a good history of the area. it's on the places to visit list!! Welcome, and would love to hear your stories and finds.

Welcome aboard Gold miner.

Cool :)
When you say "small scale"... What sort of equipment you talking?

Looking forward to hearing some stories & pictures.

Hi croc, yeah mate, river of gold is a great book!

Ag Man, umm 20 ton excavator, 12 foot shaker on truck chassis, 6 cylinder pump 3000 ltrs a minute. Just small scale.....

Welcome Gold miner...impressive set up....think i might need a couple of extra guys shoveling into my hi-banker to keep up with that lot...lol.Cheers Wal' :eek:

G'day Gold miner, I am from Cairns and have been up your way a few times now and love the place. Hope to run into you one day up there and put the billy on. :) Cheers Rick.

Hi Gold Miner

Are you still working the Palmer?
I read today (I will ask Harri to attach the pdf article) that they still have not found Bruce Schuler's body.
What happens now with the pastoral lease once they lock up the Struber's ?

Cheers
Jed

Hi Jed,
GM is very close to me and asked me to post this..

Hi Jed,
Yes we are still in the Palmer river area with a few leases..

The trial was a long time coming.
The result of the trial was what I hoped to happen....
But sadly, no, Bruces location was not revealed...

The judge indicated to the convicted, that to possibly join the realm of normal thinking people, they should perhaps reveal the location of Bruce.......

I hope this happens. so the family can have a closure....

As for the station...... I believe long ago, the station was gone to pay for ever expanding legal bills...............

Hi Simmo (& GM)

Great to hear from you guys.

Yes - very sad for the family not knowing Bruce's final location.

On a more happy note it is probably now safe for us risk-averse southern detectorists to visit the Palmer area :)

Where online do I check if an area on the Palmer has a current/active lease?
I presume all of the Palmer is on pastoral lease/private property so access approval is needed.

Cheers
Jed

Hi Jed,

I doubt anything has changed, in regard to the area and prospecting.......
Just because one lot of murderers have been removed doesn't make it open slather.........
(next line of comment withheld.............)

Permission would be needed from either Maitland Downs, Bonnieglen, or Palmerville stations if you want to be on the river.

The R16 mining reserve at Maytown, is a no go for detectors unless you gain permission from a lease holder.

Lease info can be gathered from minesonline or the Mareeba mines dept.

I hope this helps.

Thanks Simmo for the frank & fearless advice - many thanks mate - very helpful.

My apologies if I gave you the impression that I was suggesting it was now open slather on the Palmer/Maytown area.
Personally I respect lease areas hence my inquiry on how to identify them & stay legal.
I understood that Maytown access for detecting is only by invitation of a lease holder.

The only time I have seen the mighty Palmer River was from the roadhouse bridge on a trip from Cooktown to Cairns - it looked like it would be a wild river during the wet :)
I would like to do some dry season camping (& detecting) on the Palmer as part of trip up north - thx for the station names - I will Google up the station contacts.

If I win Lotto then it would be great to buy a lease in the R16 mining reserve at Maytown.
Are these ads kosher (first one looks pretty comfy) & what sort of price would they be asking?
http://www.goldminesales.com.au/ind...ytown-palmer-gold-mining-lease-in-r16-reserve
http://www.goldminesales.com.au/index.php/gold-mines/15-campbell-creek-palmer-region-2-leases-epm

Cheers
Jed

PS Simmo - my wife wants to know if there are many nasty snakes on the Palmer? ! :)

Latest posts