Hi from the Blue Mountains

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisB

Chris Barnes
Reaction score
Hi All,

Prospecting newbie here from the Blue Mountains. I have always wanted to try my hand at gold panning/prospecting, so figured it was about time I gave it a go. As a kid growing up in the UK, I fondly remember trips down to the Jurrasic Coast in search of fossils, and the excitement of not knowing what you may find and the thrill when you do uncover something. I imagine the search for gold must provide the same thrill.

It's a fairly easy drive west to the gold fields from where I live, so hopefully I'll be able to head out that way one weekend soon.

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks for the warm welcome, fellas. It's good to hear that there are others here in the Mountains. I'm thinking I may drive out to Oberon next week and give it a crack. I'll update with how I get on. In the meantime I'll have to get researching and figure out where to go.

Hey Chris! I'm on a weeks annual leave and heading west on thu or fri.

If keen... Happy to take u along for a day trip to Ophir or stuart town... I live in penrith so it's on the way and can show you round the area....

Let me know!!

Thanks Retrojez,

Cant make it this week as I have too much work on, unfortunately. Best of luck on your trip though. Hopefully I'll be less busy at some point in the future.

Cheers.

Hi Chris,

I actually was able to dip my "dip my toes" for the first time today. I was driving through Gulgong so stopped at the information centre and asked if there was any public access to the Cudgegong River. The lady in there was very helpful and told me where to go. She mentioned that the river contained sapphires and diamonds, so got quite excited when I turned up some clear crystals, but sadly they turned out to be quartz.

I found a couple of tiny flecks of gold, but really nothing much. I guess I need to keep practicing! Sadly I'll miss the Tunea trip as I'll be overseas. Though while I'm away I'll be attending a Rugby Union world cup game in Wales, so may take a pan, as I read that there is gold in some Welsh streams.

I'll have to look for a trip when I get back.

Cheers,

Chris