hi from queanbeyan area

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pauly250

Paul T
Reaction score
hi

Just joined the forums ,been away for a few years working and just moved back to the area and am keen on continuing my fossicking hobby.

I have been interested in gold fossicking in this area as i had 2 great great grandfathers that were mine owners in the area ,1 operated the Brindabella gold mine in the 1880,s and the other operated a mine at Mac,s Reef near Sutton.

I am currently building a highbanker and gathering my fossicking weapons ready to go and have some fun.Have a couple of landcruisers and am fitting one out to be a fulltime fossicking mobile

Also keen to do some fossicking for gems, my best mate from sydney is a Gemologist and has been a jewelerer in sydney for over 30 years and is more than keen to identify any finds.

Most likely going out to the Wee Jasper /Grabben Gullen area for gems and then back to the Forde/Tuena for gold highbanking

I live on a property that has quartz reefs penetrating the surface areas north to south about 30 to 40 metres apart but yet to crack out a detector and have a swing

regards

Pauly T

Welcome Pauly :) Sutton would be interesting area to explore :) not much recorded as far as figures go

thanks Joe

The gold mining in the Suttom area was mainly conducted around Bywong Town,there is an old theme park still there with all the original equipment ,unfortunately its closed for the public now.

All the mining was reef mining and the comunity grew very large at one time ,that included a small town ,schools ,shops e.c.t.

I have some info somewhere on amounts discovered at various stages . Majourity of the miners were lucky to scrape in a weeks wages as the finds were never over the top.

Although with the help of a detector things may be different

Pauly T

Welcome to the forum pauly, good to see you're getting back into the prospecting scene. Look forward to maybe catching up one day at GG or Tuena. ;) Mcphersons has pretty well had it these days as the blackberries have taken over big time...Look forward to sharing adventures...Cheers Wal. :)

Thanks Wal

I have watched many of your vids over the last months and yourself and Liz are a real credit as the info you provide is just unreal.

I havent ventured to GGullen as of yet that will be new to me,i will be also be snooping around Wee Jasper area and even the east side of queanbeyan check out a few low keyed spots that were mined many many years ago,i will let you know how i go ,lot of dark quartz reefs in this area.

thanks again

Pauly T

Thanks pauly...some well kept secrets in the Queanbeyan region and your research could well pay off handsomely. ;) Look forward to catching up one day...all the best ..Wal. :)

Gedday there Pauly an Welcome .. Sounds like your surrounded by some interesting country there. .. Methinks a little hole digging with a 30 tonner in the gap between those quartz outcrops could be interesting.
Best of Luck to You.

Hi Pauly and welcome. Don't like your chances of finding anything around the Queanbeyan/ACT area. I think Wal and Liz have already cleaned it out :lol: :p

Ha Ha Matt....be surprised what's still laying around where people "Think" there's no gold left.....Like Palmer says..."no gold left around here mate"... ;)..and that's how we like it... Cheers Wal. :)

Latest posts