Hi All

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All...First off I must apologise to Spotted gum for jumping into their intro...oopps sorry mate.

What a fantastic site and a very welcome breath of fresh air to have such an open honest forum where all are welcomed and treated with respect.

I'm a total newbie and was searching for info in regards to metal detecting/prospecting and wanted some feedback on what a virgin like myself would buy as their first detector.... I have had a look at the other forum's on this subject so most things are covered but I wanted to know the difference between detectors with a display like the X Terra 705 series and the Eureka Gold pack...both I am interested in purchasing... but then You Guys N Girls are the Experts so any information would be greatly appreciated.

I am open to any suggestions and also the make of detector so don't think I'm limiting my options.

Cheers.... Regards...Ed. :D

Welcome To the forum and prospecting Ed, there will be lots of different detectors you could look at :cool:
I , a new person to detecting have purchase a GPX 5 k but you have to know how to use it before you can earn your keep :p

Keep you ear to the forum and you will get all sorts of info on different equipment to use . :/

Welcome to the forum Ed. The good old mind boggling saga..."which detector to get"...Whenever this question is asked it always lets a cat out amongst the pigeons. There are so many variables which can in the long run only be answered by the purchaser. Factors like...will it be used mainly for Gold....or mainly for coins...or maybe for both....or is it an entry level to just get started.

Once that criteria has been sourced then there's the price range to consider....and then there's one persons opinion over another....sometimes it's easier to buy a pair of shoes for the missus.

I'm sure that once you read through the detector threads some light may shine on the pros and cons for most detectors out there on the market. Best of luck and hopefully some members input can help you with your decision.

Cheers Wal.

Thanks for your input Wal...Like anything your right about buying the wife a pair of shoe's LOL.

I'm off back to PNG tomorrow so I've got 5 weeks away to contemplate and do some research before I get back...Wan't to purchase a unit before Christmas n have a go when we travle up to Nelson Bay for Chrissy.

Anyone know anywhere to have a poke around in that area??

Will advise of decision... maybe a combo unit from Minelab,White's or Garrett...More research required.

Cheers....Ed.

Latest posts