hey everyone

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hey im a big time noob that lives in gladstone queensland
i have a xterra 705
an was wanting to know more about medal detecting an someone to show me the ropes on gold prospecting
an what equipment you would recommend for a noob like myself

Hey cool :cool: I am also from CQ, grew up in Rocky now live in Gracemere.
Welcome to the PA family, lots of helpful info on here mate.
I am also a fellow 705 user and a newb in the whole scheme of things.

Check this link out if you are not already familar with it. Very handy, and trust me it might look like jiberish right now but the more research you do the more you will understand this info, i am still learning from it :D

http://www.treasureenterprises.com/gold prospecting information/Gold_Occurrences_in_Central_Qld.htm

Good luck mate

M3

P.S. dont hold back from asking any questions, everyone on here is more than happy to share there knowledge, and there is alot of it, hook in mate.

thanks for the reply mate every little bit helps ay
an yeah ive read that before but like u said it does look like jibberish because im a noob im guessin lol
i have downloaded overlay an synced it with google that shows u around where places are
i took my detector out the other day to give it a go but it kept picking up makin noises an id dig an it would keep doinging it so i had no idea if it was working properly or not or if i just had sensitivity up to high or if it was just fine specs it was picking up lol
hopefully with more research ill know how to troubleshoot them small issues

Gold nuggets have been found by some of my customers, detecting in the vicinity of the water tower in the heart of Gladstone
i know where this place is its across from the duckpond

It might of just been ground noise, run the auto noise cancel and then ground balance and set it to ground balance tracking if it is still noisy you might have to adjust the sensitivity. You will notice the difference between ground noise and an actual target the more you use it, the more you are out on the ground using the machine the more you will understand it. Im still learning how my 705 works and what it is trying to tell me.

I have heard that some nugs have been found around the water tower. You might have to be careful fossicking in that area it might be a reserve? The qld globe overlay for google maps will tell you what the land is.

Goodluck mate, Im sure you'll find somethin :)

yeah i downloaded qld globe today thats pretty good tells u creeks an boundaries really handy tool to have goin to take me a while to actually figure it out.
im thinkin of goin out today an try to figure out the detector. i ran the auto noise cancel an ground balanced it an i did have the ground balance tracking but i read on some its better to start without ground balance tracking till u figure out ur detector an i think the issue was sensitivity had it up to high
trail an error at this stage.

an thank you jaros for the welcome

thanks for the heads up on the reserve land i didn't know there was so much of it does that mean you cant go detecting on that area?
what other area's can't you detect besides private property?.

Qld globe is handy, and you can also get the qld gold mines layer aswell which shows you were all the old gold diggings are in Qld.

We have it pretty tough here in Qld with where you can and can't go
Fellow forum member cecc has opened a few topics on rules and regs for us in Qld.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=15039

Basically you can't fossick in national park, state forest, any reserve.

But you can fossick on unoccupied land, not to much of that gettin around, state land if it doesn't have a lease against it and you will also need permission from DNRM, private property (free hold) if you have permission by the land owner and any designated fossicking area set aside by the government, none of that here in CQ for gold.

The same forum member has also started a petition to change these laws to make it easier for us fossickers in Qld.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=15421

thanks for that info mate
i see theres alot u need to know insted of just pickin up a detector an goin out there
an yeah i read a topic on here. they dont really want people doin it by what i read
probably think everyone's goin to get rich off it an stop paying taxes lol

The first thing people will tell you is "research research research" its easy goin out swinging the detector around but unless you have done your homework of the area you might only come up with a hell of a lot of nuthin, get ya self a good geo map of the area you are looking at, the more recent ones also show you where most of the mineral occurances and mines are/was, very handy.

Haha yeah I have thought the same thing, the funny thing is that we get super excited about the tiniest little peice. Haha.

Good luck mate, look forward to seeing some pics of your finds :D

M3

i got that qld globe but i dont know how to bring up the old mines an where about's do i get a geo map of the area
an ive been using qld globe to see where you can go prospect an where the creeks an rivers are an what boundaries they are
you mite have the best spot but if you don't know what ur lookin at an how to find it you will miss completely on mt larcombe ive heard there are shit load of old mine sharfs and its stateland
so u mite be waiting a while to see pictures lol
you got any pics?

The old gold mines layer is seperate to the qld globe, but they can both run at the same time, do you run qld globe on your smart phone or computer? I tried to post up a few geo maps for ya here but the file was too large so I will send it to you in an email if that is ok and I will send you the info to run the qld gold mines layer aswell.

Don't forget the xterra 705 is also a good coin shooter, gladstone is an old town been around since the mid 1800's, so if you have an itch to get out for a swing and have a spare hour or 2, maybe have a look around some of the old parks and sports ovals, the parks around the harbour might be worth a look, you might pull out some old pre dec coins and it also helps to learn and get used to your machine before hitting the highly mineralized gold fields.

No, no pics of the yellow stuff yet :( its hard around here, anything worth having a look is on private property, Im working on it though this year will be the year I pull my first nugget out the ground i can feel it haha :D

yeah mate coin an relic hunting is easy ive done a bit of it when to an old sports ground but the ground was really hard an there was alot of junk but i guess if i just put it an coin mode an go have a swing mite be good ive sussed out the old parts which i reckon would be a few good spots
an yeah you can email me some stuff mate my email is xxxxxxxxxxxxxx an i took a video of when i went out yesterday just in town here of the settings an stuff so ill send you that an u can tell me what i was doin wrong coz id get a hit an use the pin pointer an it would go off its head but i would dig an it wasnt picking anything up
thanks mate i hope u clean up this year

Admin edit: email address removed per forum rules. You can email any member by clicking the EMAIL button under the name and avatar to the left.

Really need to make sure that as a newb to it all your plugs are done properly and your not making a mess out there at all as well. :)

Yeah i checked my plugs an i cover all my holes in

And yeah metal i found the mining part had to down load it
An i use it on my PC
I tryed to download apps on my phone but they all were no good

Are you using a digger in parks ?,... cause a few people that prospect seem to think it's an ok look to the public to swing a s pick in a park when it's clearly not.(just checking)

Latest posts