Heritage area vs historic area Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can someone point me to a vic gov website, cant find anything information about the difference between a Heritage Area vs a Historic Area. Thanks Ward69

If you are referring to the 4 x Victoria Parks areas there is no significant difference in them as far as prospecting/fossicking rules go - you can only go into the designated areas.

- Castlemaine Diggings National Heritage Park
- Beechworth Historic Park
- Steiglitz Historic Park
- Maldon Historic Area

The only difference is the Castlemaine Diggings National Heritage Park is so named due to being deemed to be of National Heritage significance.
The other Historic Parks/Areas look to be of State Heritage significance.

Other heritage or historic areas (not managed by Parks Victoria but other bodies like trusts, councils etc.) would be covered under the Heritage Act 2017 or other legislation that protect against disturbance.

What Mark is asking is what the definitions are for the various historical areas or areas of importance so we can be certain of not breaking any rules and know what we can and can`t do in any given area.
This is not necessarily the national parks that we are talking about ,here.
For example , the Jubilee mine in Staffordshire reef is registered as the Jubilee Historical area or heritage area ( not exactly sure which one ) . I was of the view that being listed as a heritage area , that you cannot fossick or even disturb anything there . I have only ever used the BBQ area and walked around to look at the old battery , gold vault , cyanide vat and what is left of all the mine structures.

Devil`s Kitchen Geological reserve , Mt Erip nature conservation reserve , Hamer flora reserve ,The Pines Flora and fauna reserve, etc .are more examples of sites of importance or significance.

What are the definitions of heritage area, heritage inventory , flora reserve ,fauna reserve, bushland reserve , conservation area ,etc ?

What are the rules that govern these sites and what restrictions are placed on them ?

We are just after a website or somewhere we can get this information to clarity to do`s and don`t `s.

We already have the national parks maps and also the exempt rivers list on ouir phones.

Thankyou for any help with this.

FOZ

mbasko said:
If you are referring to the 4 x Victoria Parks areas there is no significant difference in them as far as prospecting/fossicking rules go - you can only go into the designated areas.

- Castlemaine Diggings National Heritage Park
- Beechworth Historic Park
- Steiglitz Historic Park
- Maldon Historic Area

The only difference is the Castlemaine Diggings National Heritage Park is so named due to being deemed to be of National Heritage significance.
The other Historic Parks/Areas look to be of State Heritage significance.

Other heritage or historic areas (not managed by Parks Victoria but other bodies like trusts, councils etc.) would be covered under the Heritage Act 2017 or other legislation that protect against disturbance.

Thanks mate. After reading the act again and again, still not very clear. Its states if a prospector finds any relics or any of historic value. Must report it. To the heritage staff soon as possible, then we have mining companies over the past years, taking out truck loads of tailings from a historic area. But not a heritage area. Im still working on it. Even while Im in Philippines next week. We will get a ruling on the difference.

Latest posts