Help with identification

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all.
I was given a collection of minerals or rocks from the wife of a geologist a few years ago. They have been in storage and have lost all their labels. I was hoping to get some help with id. If I should be posting in another place, please let me know. I shall upload a few pics at a time.
Thanks in advance.
1418425817_image.jpg

G'day Dirtgirl, welcome aboard. First pic looks like Rhodonite to me, 2nd looks like milky Amethyst. Others not rerally sure, hopefully others can help.

Welcome to PA Dirtgirl, its always a difficult job from pic's alone as lots of clues cant be shared such as weight (specific gravity), the general feel and hardness of the rock etc.

The lads are likely correct on the first two and as for the others at a guess, the third looks like some sort of Sedimentary Conglomerate or perhaps even a Mica Schist?

The fourth pic looks to be igneous, and maybe a piece of Basalt, Biotite or similar dark colored, fine grain?

Take them along to the local museum and maybe someone can help with a positive ID.

Regards ;)

Im with Metamorphic on the 3rd set of pics, that it looks to be of a Mica Schist
4th, wouldn't that fit more into a type of conglomerate?..

Hi all! A massive thank you for your help. I will take them along to the museum, thanks for that advice. Have a great Christmas. You guys are awesome :)

G'day All

I would say that the first one is erythrite which is a cobalt arsenate - rhodonite does not form thin radiating crystals. the second is amethyst. Some one has been to Cloncurry as both those minerals come from the same area and erythrite only comes from there. the third one is a mica and is probably lepidolite the pink lithium bearing mica and the final one is too hard to tell - probably some form of breccia but whether there is something else in it I cannot tell.

araluen

Latest posts